Microsoft will be shipping a Linux kernel with Windows

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, May 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy fix is to use a USB sound dongle. The audio quality is much better.

There is a version of Windows that runs on the RPi3 also. But why screw up a good ARM box.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

See my previous post and listen to a few minutes from 1:11:00. I guess he is talking about the NT Kernel so true, it's not DOS, it's cmd.exe. That hasn't changed since the early days of the NT Kernel. One of his developers was removing some code which is older than he was.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

That was my 'solution'.:D

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My buddy has similar issues with his off center feed dipole with less than 100w. Though he doesn't have proper grounding for it. His wife's hair dryers throws sparks even when it's off lol.

5. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Canonical and Ubuntu tried to force the issue of the desktop with Unity, which also ran on their phones. Microsoft did the same thing with Windows 8. Neither succeeded.

Ubuntu ditched Unity and went back to Gnome. The base desktop install with Ubuntu 18.04 looks a lot like Unity, but it can be changed. Some see that ability to choose as a feature rather than a flaw.

Ubuntu and RedHat are two major commercial Linux companies that have fully supported products. Each have other "official" distributions that are community supported. Fedora blurs that distinction as it essentially is a test bed for mainline RedHat Enterprise Linux development. Centos is based on RedHat, but it is not RedHat-supported. On the contrary, CentOS contributes to RedHat development. CERN and Fermilab recently switched from Scientific Linux to CentOS, essentially killing off Scientific Linux, for which those labs were the primary developers and maintainers. Fermilab now is supporting CentOS.

In the operational scheme of things, the companies that use Linux can either standardize on one desktop environment or allow individual choice. It is straightforward for IT to standardize, as in most cases large enterprises roll out the OS using virtualization.

For casual users, Gnome - based desktop environments like Cinnamon and Mate are virtually identical, even though Cinnamon (and base Ubuntu, now) use Gnome 3, and Mate uses Gnome 2 by choice. Fedora uses Gnome. Another popular low-requirement desktop environment is Xfce, which is not based on Gnome. Nevertheless, it retains the basic characteristics of Cinnamon or Mate as to ease of use when changing between environments or even Linux distributions.

SUSE, another major commercial Linux, especially in Europe, at one time focused on KDE as the desktop environment. Later, it adopted Gnome as a co-equal environment. Ubuntu has Kubuntu as a KDE official distribution, and a number of unaffiliated Linux distros champion KDE.

From the user standpoint, choice is pretty much a good thing. Ultimately, much of the success is based on help from user forums. Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint are pretty much the same under the hood, since Ubuntu's code is based on Debian and Mint is based on Ubuntu and Debian, directly for certain applications. As a longtime user of Mint I found that I sometimes had to rely on "translations" of Ubuntu command line stuff that was slightly different from Mint. I recently switched from Mint 18.3 Mate to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on my main Linux box, that being one reason. The downside is that the look of the desktop no longer looks like a clone of Windows. Ubuntu has a community supported Mate distribution, but it is not 5 year LTS, only 3.

Ted, KX4OM

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Wasn't MS invested, literally, in Suse at one point? I remember some people dropping the distribution in 'disgust' after the announcement.

I like Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop.

RedHat is/was likely the most business savvy of them all.

7. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon is available from Lenovo on laptops through Amazon. I like Cinnamon a lot, but Mate ran better on my two 2011 vintage Dell laptops and my 2008 3.6GHz tower with a gamer video board and 8Gb Ram. The newer Mint 19.x editions are advertised as being faster with Cinnamon.

Ted, KX4OM

8. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Too bad they are selling to IBM. Anything that gets bought by Oracle or IBM, pray for them now. Better yet, fork immediately.

I've used Linux personally since 1995 and professionally since 1999, but have been a "Redhat guy" since Redhat 5.1 when it was released in 1998. (Redhat 5, not RHEL 5) When I heard IBM was buying Redhat, that gave me serious pause. I have enough experience working with IBM (and Oracle for that matter) to be seriously concerned about the future of Redhat and what it means to remain a "Redhat guy".

I always felt Ubuntu was the most polished a while back. I really liked Cinnamon when I used it, but it was unstable and crashed a lot. That was a few years ago though. Over the last few years, my dependency on apps that do not run on Linux pushed me to stop keeping a version of it on my desktops / laptops. Maintaining it when I wasn't using it is time I don't have.

Even as a CTO thses days. I still use Linux on the command line daily. My heart is still in it, even though my desktop no longer is.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I like Redhat.

I use it and wear a White Hat. :)

upload_2019-5-8_9-24-21.jpeg

K1SZO likes this.
  10. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

well.... yes and no. FermiLab is phasing in CentOS, but will continue to support the latest version of Sci-Linux for the rest of it's life cycle, which is another few years. They themselves have a lot of SCI-Linux machines that will stay as they are for the rest of their usable lives. BUT having used both, I don't see a big difference between the two.... especially since 90% of what I do is via the command line. :D At that level, most distros look the same.

As long as a distro has the packages I need, allows root log-in privileges, and a good terminal.... I'm good to go. GUIs are for Wienies! :p (not really... they are kind of handy, but not nearly as cool!)