Microsoft will be shipping a Linux kernel with Windows

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, May 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Announced today, May 6, 2019. It is a full kernel, 4.19, part of version 2 of the Windows System for Linux, the first time Windows has included an actual Linux kernel. It will be running in a Virtual Machine, one that is highly integrated with Windows 10, running up to 20 times faster than WSL 1.

Along with WSL 2, Microsoft also announced Windows Terminal, a new tabbed command line application replacing the previous cmd process, which will run the classic cmd, Power Shell, and Bash and other Linux shells.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/announcing-wsl-2/

Ted, KX4OM

2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

What, um, flavor of Linux?

3. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Special M$ Linux?

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Since it's not free (standalone), Mint Linux. Very different than Linux Mint.;)

5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! According to the announcement this is "a true testament to how much Microsoft loves Linux!" That is surprising, considering how some of the Microsoft proponents talked about those folks who switched over to Linux rather than accept the attempted forced "upgrade" to Win10. I can recall one of them on this forum calling the Linux users stupid; claiming that Linux was just a geek's toy; and predicting that Linux would never gain a large following in the real computing world.

My oh my how times have changed. Now "Microsoft Loves Linux"! Ha! It looks to me like they've realized that Linux is here to stay, and are attempting to play "catch-up" with the real Linux crowd.... OR judging from their history, maybe they have designs on trying to use their market position to monetize the Open-Source movement, and profit from other folks' work.

As far as this latest offering goes, I really don't want to buy software to that allows me to run a virtual Linux on a Windows 10 machine (with all of it's bloat / spyware /marketing crapola ) when I can run real Linux on a real Linux machine. I think I'll pass.

KK5JY, KQ9J and W7CJD like this.
  6. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

:rolleyes: ..Windoz has put a mint on your pillow?

I do like some things made for Windows only.

For all that, I am "holding out" with Win 7 Pro.

I did "cave" to Win 8.1 on a tablet.

<sigh>

Is there a "win" in Windows 10?

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I love OS wars.... always fun to watch them spool up :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

To me it's clear as a beautiful summer day that until and unless Linux comes pre-loaded on brand name PCs sold in big box stores, it'll not take hold among the 'unwashed'.

It simply does not 'register' with them that Linux is 'sexier, a better lover, taller' than Windows.:D

Let's admit it, Windows is 'difficult' enough to a lot of people already. We see it here, where 'technically' inclined people congregate.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    KK4NSF likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I used to have a quad-boot MacBook - had Mac Snow Leopard, Windows 7, Ubuntu and one other Linux distro I now forget.... I would use it in business presentations, having fun picking which OS to use that day.

Made the Apple zealots go apoplectic, the Windows people glaze over, and the Linux crowd would argue that Ubuntu isn't "real Linux"

As I said - I LOVE OS wars... always fun to watch them spool up :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

10. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Lindows??!!
    My current system Dual boots.
    Installed Windows 10, then Installed Linux using the Linux grub to handle the bootup.
    I Did have to make a change (Googled it, but forgot how I did it) so that it boots into windows by default.....(But can choose linux if I wanna play)

W7UUU likes this.