ad: TiltPlate-1

Microsoft Pulls Windows October 10 Update

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, Oct 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

From ZDNet, via Slashdot.org:

"In a support document updated today, October 6, the Redmond-based OS maker said it took this decision after users complained that v1809 had deleted files after the update. We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating. Microsoft employs a gradual rollout scheme, and not all Windows 10 users have received its latest bi-annual OS update. The October 2018 Update is no longer available for download, and Microsoft urges users who manually downloaded a Windows 10 installation package to wait until new installation media is available. "We will provide an update when we resume rolling out the Windows 10 October 2018 Update to customers," Microsoft said."

Ted, KX4OM

2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm still trying to fix my USB Audio after the May update. I've done about everything but a reload of Win10. Grrrr.

3. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

I performed the 1809 update with one (1) Win10 computer.
    I was testing IF Classic Shell (Win7 look-feel) was going to survive this update.
    Early testers complained that the /games directory was erased.

After the update, Classic Shell still works (so far).

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just updated and fortunately it must have been after MS pulled 1809. So my Win10 went only one upgrade step to 1803.

It still took me doing it twice to get everything. Why MS can’t update it all on the first try has been a mystery to me for decades.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am still trying to figure what all of the updates do and why they are even needed.

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Making software upgrades difficult helps sell new hardware!

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Or a switch of OS.

upload_2018-10-7_13-16-16.png

N0TZU, W9FTV, KK4NSF and 1 other person like this.
  8. N4CYA

N4CYA QRZ MODERATOR Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So far no issues for me which is good.

9. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

No issues here, either, using Fusion (on my Mac) and The Wifoid's PC.