Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA4CZD, Sep 9, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Trumpet wasn't "before Winsock". It implemented the Winsock API which some others had developed.

Peter Tattam, the Australian guy who created Trumpet is a bit of an unsung and mostly unpaid hero of the early internet.

https://thanksfortrumpetwinsock.com

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

There was also an add-on (add-in?) Z-80 CP/M board (C. 1980) for the Apple ][][+. And Apple also had Apple Pascal, a rather good implementation of that language, and LiSP, and a few others.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, had the z80 card and 80 column card too. Had to get rid of the $free old color TV, and get a real monitor, that cost $$. Green screen, P3 phosphor. Remember specifying the phosphor!??!

I don't remember Apple Pascal. Do you mean UCSD Pascal? That was a great system, had several jobs programming in UCSD Pascal.

The worst abomination and computer abuse was in 1983. An Ada compiler, written in UCSD Pascal, running UCSD in a 6502 emulator, on a Pr1me 650, that I accessed from home on my Apple ][, over 300 baud modern, through a Gandalf terminal server.

Fing awful! The professor gave up, told the class "I'm the compiler this semester."

We had fun putting secret jokes in the Ada source. He caught all of them.

4. WA9SVD

APPLE only had ONE phosphor, a green screen. AMDEK had some models with a choice of green or amber. APPLE Pascal WAS based on UCSD Pascal. MOST PASCAL programs were "cross-formulation," and needed only slight mods to work on other OS's.
    There may STILL be some undiscovered "Easter Eggs" in Apple ][, I never got them all, nor did I figure out "BattleCar" (or whatever) on that system. And yes, I DO remember 300 baud, and was finally delighted with a 1200 baud modem!

How times have changed!

5. N4AAB

N4AAB Subscriber QRZ Page

At community college we also had Apple Fortran, along with Apple Basic. The Fortran ran from a Corvus networked hard drive... 20 megs worth of storage space.

6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

We had Turbo Pascal running on a Z-80 based Cromemco System Three with multiple users on VT-100 clones. I remember editing programs we wrote to parse data we read off the 9-track, and if our VP of Engineering decided to compile a program at the same time you might as well take a coffee break, or longer...

My college (NYiT) had DEC Rainbows with Quad density, single sided disks that were compatible with nobody...

7. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I attended Monmouth College in West Longbranch, NJ starting in 1967. It's now known as Monmouth University.

The college didn't have any computers on campus. The only computer we had to work with was rented time on some remote computer. I never knew where the computer actually was. Our only access was through dial-up TTY terminals, similar to the old ASR-33s. Each terminal had a telephone attached. To get on the computer, we had to dial it up and wait for a connection. 300 baud? I wish we had something that fast. The terminals only ran at 50 baud.

The person in charge of the computer room would put locks on the telephone "dials", to prevent their use while she wasn't there. But that was easy to get around. You could just pick up the receiver and click the bar a couple of times to get the operator. The operator was very willing to connect you to the number you wanted. No dialing needed.

We were not allowed to save our programs. When we connected to the computer, we had to upload our program and then run and edit on line. Should the telephone connection go down, everything you did was gone. No way to recover. Our main storage element was punched paper tape. So when you were done working for the day, you had to punch out a new roll of paper tape.

As a sidebar, if you want to see what Monmouth College looked like, view the 1981 version of the movie "Annie". The mansion in the movie was Woodrow Wilson Hall, one of our main classroom buildings.

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

My first programming was at high school in New Zealand in the mid 1970s. I think the language was called Portran which was some variation of Fortran. We used punched cards but we didn't have a punch machine, we punched the holes one by one with a paper clip.

The school or department of education had some deal with a bank to run our programs overnight. I think the teacher would drop off the cards to the bank that night on his way home. Before class the next day, a student, usually me, would ride his bike down to the bank and pickup the printouts from last night's run.

At college / University of Auckland in 1976 we used mark sense cards. Similar to punch cards but you mark them with a pencil. The computer centre had one reader for undergrads where we would line up for our turn to read our cards and wait for the printout on a big line printer. The card reader was faster than the printer which meant that the printer was often way behind. Of course there was some sort of job queue of finite size. Unfortunately if the queue became full it dumped everything for some reason. Not everyone realized this but thankfully some did. Occasionally someone who knew what was happening would get to his turn at the card reader and just wait. Some people would start getting frustrated wondering what he was doing holding everyone up. Five or ten minutes later, the printer would finally stop and we were caught up.

9. WA9SVD

I still use my Apple //e for packet on 2 Meters. I'm not sure the Apple ][+ is still viable, but is probably able to do the same.

10. N4AAB

N4AAB Subscriber QRZ Page

Just like Amiga and Commodore 64 fixers and rebuilders, I have seen some Apple ][+ sites as well. Videos on youtube to.