Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KR4EE, Sep 9, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My eyes cannot see a difference between hd, regular digital tv, and 4K. So its imaterial to me. As for not competing, well, the siftware could be patched, which is all Vista, Win 7, Win 8, Win 8.1n and Win 10, actually are, patches. I've worked on or operated Cray YMP-2s, IBM AS/400s, AIX desktop workstation, Sun workstations, etc. While most of those are gone to, they were still good machines. The Cray I was console operator on was replaced by a cheaper machne. Not my money though.

I'm about to restore my Amiga A1000/A500/A3000 computers I bought in 1990 and 1992. I rather like them more than I do Windows. And having to upgrade to use hardware that isn't cery good, and an operating system they could be substationaly better but it, is planned obsolesence to keep the money flowing. Not because the older hardware is no good.

About 1989 my parents bought a new computer, I copied all their files over. I took the 'obsolete' hardware, put linux on it, and it booted much faster.

N0NC and VE3WI like this.
  2. N4AAB

You would be surised at the number of ms-dos programs still out there, and vital to infrastructure. I've tried to work with the 'new' version of command line, some software simply refuses to go along with it. Not my personal stuff, but places where i have worked. Newer sofware that doesn't rely on ms-dos beng there is 'in the works', but that was years ago. I haven't heard of any progress since then.

MS-dos/Windows don't actually do multitasking. Only the Amiga and Macintosh does that.

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you're about 20 years out of date here. The Windows 9X (and ME) are monolithic SHELLS built on MSDOS, which IS NOT a multitasking, multiuser OS's. Windows merged the NT architecture (User and Kernel Modes with Hardware Abstraction) with Win 2000, of which there wasn't a "home" version. It wasn't until WinXP that we got the workings of a real, multitasking, multithreading OS. To say the current iterations of Windows are just "patches" is ludicrous - especially if you're using Win98SE as the reference - there is virtually nothing in common except for perhaps the basic GUI look!

AG5DB likes this.
  4. N4AAB

I don't buy it. I know about the NT background version of command line. My last job, my users had lots of complaints about it. They needed ms-dos compatibility, command line was similar but different enough to break software they relied on. And the software wasn't being upgraded. There was no newer equivalent. What was claimed the be in the progress of being updated to use command line, or Windows, was vapor ware.

I haven't heard non-Microsoft groups saying Windows has multitasking abilities.

The Crays I was console operator on had multiple CPUs. I asked one of the programmers about that. We were told the software has to be written to accomidate the multiple CPUs. My current Windows 10 desktop is supposed to have 2 cores. It doesn't seem any different to me that my one core Windows 7 desktop.

On my Windows computer, there are programs I have no use for. Earlier versions may have been less than current versions; however, they only loaded programs for the hardware I had. This computer I'm typing on has a large number of apps I'll never use because the hardware isn't installed, and mostly wont be.

I'll just agree to disagree with you. I don't think we will ever agree with each other over this one thing.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look close, The version of 98SE DOS was carried over to XP.

The DOS shell in XP made the call to old school, Work good last a long time. :)

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to read blogs by developers who actually worked on the Windows task scheduler. Were they deluding themselves? Kind of like the astronauts who were fooled into thinking they went to the moon?

7. VE3WI

VE3WI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N4AAB: Nice to see you're keeping your Amigas running. I had a 2000 which I loaded up with 2x HDs, max memory, flicker-fixer etc. Amazing performance, way ahead of its time. Too bad Commode-Door management were so greedy & incompetent. One would almost think they wanted to sink the Amiga the way they ran the business.

The solution to MS Windows planned obsolescence is spelled l-i-n-u-x.

Dave, VE3WI

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I run WIn7 and Win10 and several WinSVR2016 machines at work, along with 2 ESXi 6.5 hosts, several Ubuntu servers (on ESXi), and have a MacBook Pro at home, along with several Win10 machines. All see regular use, and all have different pluses and minuses. Windows servers today look very little like what they did 10 years ago, in fact, you have to install the GUI deliberately - a Win2016 server out of the box is only command line!

Powershell on a Windows box is a strange experience, I can use unix/linux commands like ls, cp, mv, rm, cat, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerShell And it's been around for over 10 years now. But I prefer my Ubuntu server if I need to script up a job, or parse a file with awk, grep, sed, etc.

Linux has plenty of "planned obsolescence", some distro's just "go away" and have zero support. All need frequent updates. Sometimes managing hardware from the command line can be a challenge - try working with Ethernet interfaces on Ubuntu thru the changes that have been made...

Somethings Windows is just plainly better for. Gaming is an example. Somethings Linux is better for, scripting, infrastructure hosting (DNS, Web Servers, etc.)

I use them all.

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Why pay anything! XP is alive and well with SP4 developed by a smart guy in Greece. I still use it on two machines with zero problems doing things when I dont need a fancy OS or MB. Nice and stable.

7 Pro 64 is on two other machines and is less bloated since I dumped NET Framework and its constant updates along with other useless MS and other bloat. Lean, mean and fast on an older 3.1 GHz I5 quad core machine with 8 GB RAM and a TB HD.

10. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

So run your MS-DOS applications in VSphere. Or VMWare Workstation. Or HyperV. There's an app for that.