Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KR4EE, Sep 9, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

OUCH! I feel your (and my) pain!:D Is there NO sympathy for simple Windoze 3.1 before Workgroup?:confused:

(Anybody in the market for 5.25" frisbees?:D)

W7UUU likes this.
  2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahh yes, LOADHIGH in your config.sys. I remember those days! I was a Novel SysAdmin in the late 80's/early 90's running Netware 2.15c with a bunch of DOS machines on a token ring network.

3. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Where I worked (bio-med tech) had the same network. The company that did the network was terrible. One day I helped the office girls get the server rebooted after someone broke the token ring, next thing you know I've been put in a novell course and then asked to put in a whole new network. Ended up putting in novell3.12, cat4 (I think) , 20 desktops, 3 printers and the server. Installing the network was fun but dealing with difficult users wasnt.
    On a different note - I havent used media center since VLC, am I missing something

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Since this thread is moving towards the old Windows OSs..

I have a small laptop that still runs Windows 3.1. Mostly I use it with a external audio filter for CW. It has a CW RX/TX program that is written in C and compiled with Turbo C. For decoding CW, it works better that any of the available CW decoders. But that may be due to the filter that's in front of it. It's got MS Word, Excel, and Draw. All this with 64 KB Ram and a 40MB hard drive. What more do you need?

The OS still runs fine, but the laptop is physically falling apart. The power supply (external) works fine, but the internal charger/battery died a long long time ago. The internal battery is also dead, so if I don't leave it plugged in, I have to work a little to make it boot. But when it does boot, it only takes about 10 seconds and I am ready to go. And there isn't any login. The early LCD displays are very poor and has to be adjusted according to the screen content. Plus one of the switches, for the built in trackball/mouse, broke. It still works, but is a little touchy. That's OK because, I have a external touch pad!! I also have a TCP/IP adapter that I never use.

5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Windows Media Center is still pretty much the only choice for consumer maintained software that supports the copy-once flag from cable providers. It is a big deal for cable subscribers, especially Comcast customers, because it is the only choice for rolling your own DVR with systems or channels that have that flag set.

Not only are these Microsoft customers facing having to rent crummy cable company DVRs, they are looking at losing access to content they've paid to legally record and view.

So yeah, I can see why WMC users might be a little annoyed.

6. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like my plan to move to Linux in 2020 is more confirmed.
    I paid a pretty penny for my 2 versions of win7 and I will not be moving to 10 no matter how much they try to force me.
    The lack of control on the user side and amount of data mining in windows 10 is enough for me to say no thanks. I have tried win10 on a few pc's and it ended up costing me 2 hard drives and a lot of time and data.
    When they return to allowing the user to control windows and not windows controlling you I might try again. Just seems like greed and forcing you into it. No one I know or any real tech people like windows 10....there is a reason for that.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    2E0CIT, KR4EE, W1GVT and 2 others like this.
  7. KA5IGI

KA5IGI Ham Member QRZ Page

Still using Media Center here with 4 Xbox extenders on Comcast. Some things don't work as well as they used to (minor codec issues) but I recommend you take a look at EPG123 for program guide support. It does require a subscription to Schedules Direct but it's a better guide than Rovi ever was. More information can be found on thegreenbutton.tv.

I know it's a dead end but I'll use it until "He's dead Jim".

Robert

VE3CGA likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is cool.

I just got my wife a DVR so that she can record 200+ channels with nothing worth watching.

That is what a DVR is for. Delete Video Recording.

Back to the original subject. Win 10 sucks. o_O

Have Fun.

KV4PD, W1GVT and KF5RRF like this.
  9. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So was Windows... or it is said it's not a clone. http://reactos.org/

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

KK5JY likes this.
  10. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

You got that right!