Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA4CZD, Sep 9, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. WA4CZD

WA4CZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Extortion.

Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 7 New Monthly Charge
    www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/09/08/microsoft-windows-7-monthly-charge-windows-10-free-upgrade-cost/

Windows 10 Leak Exposes Microsoft's New Monthly Charge
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...iption-cost-price-upgrade-update-windows-7-8/

Looks like my hand is being forced & I'll have to migrate away from Windows. I am disabled and have been remote accessing my Windows 7 box for digital modes and my beloved N3FJP log and state QSO party software via an old MacBook.

2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have five home computers running Windows 7 and I turned off updates a long time ago. I have no need to change to Windows 10. I don't need the overhead or the additional "features" ...

I use Webroot security software and have had no problems. Of course I have relatively slow satellite-based internet with hard data limits, but it works and works well.

Besides, if you don't want "updates" then there is presumably no charge for a service Microsoft is not providing.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I never willingly allow ANY updates, they often seem to cause more problems than they fix. Trend Micro works well
    for me and have not had any problems in many years.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? Microsoft isn't looking to charge you for USE, the are looking to charge you for continued support and updates to an 11 year old operating system (after January 14th 2020) that is beyond extended support.

For the story you posted: If this date rings a bell, that’s because it is the day Microsoft will end ‘Extended Support’ for Windows 7 according to the company’s Lifecycle page. This means no more patches or security updates unless, as we now learn, you pay.

Microsoft should continue to update and support an obsolete operating system forever? This is no different from any other OS, but here they are giving you an option to pay - if you want - for extended support. The same thing happened with XP, and some large users opted to pay Microsoft. The solution here is to upgrade to a supported OS!

This isn't a Microsoft issue, this is a support issue across an industry. I run Linux servers and they don't have unlimited support forever - you have to upgrade if you want to continue support, whether you pay or not.

N6HCM, WD9EWK, W5PFG and 4 others like this.
  5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ac...ge-for-people-who-use-assistive-technologies/

Disabled. Remote access. I think you qualify. Even if you don't, they probably won't care.

6. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at the dates on that free upgrade link, that offer expired a while ago.
    It appears the pay-for-updates plan is primarily for enterprise customers and not individual/private users. Of course those of us still using W7 after support ends will be SOL like with XP although it will probably remain functional for some time after that. It will really suck for those who use Media Center as there is no upgrade path there. If you have a HTPC running 7 Media Center an update to 10 is not an option.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Imagine how the diehard Windows for Workgroups 3.11 must feel!!

Dave
    W7UUU

K8TDN, K6GB, N1EN and 3 others like this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

MS-DOS has been around so long that it has been cloned already, at least once.

K8TDN likes this.
  9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool! That might be fun to mess around with!

Dave
    W7UUU

KK5JY likes this.
  10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm fairly certain that the slowest Raspberry Pi in my collection can run circles around the fastest MS-DOS system I ever had. ;)