ad: elecraft

Michigan Scanner Law

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, May 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

n9par writes " Hello Everyone,
    I have this problem and I wanted everyone that doesn't live in Michigan to hear about this.I just moved to Michigan last june from Wisconsin. I never knew they had this scanner law that says that if your not a ham you can't have a scanner in your car. Well I am a ham which is fine But some of the police officers here don't know about it.

I got stopped the other day for no seat belt. Which is fine, I didn't have it on. Well I have a Radio Shack two meter radio in the car and I put in the police Freq in it during a lunch break that day. He pulled me over and I turned my radio down. He heard a fire tone come from my radio and he asked a lot of questions about it. He told me I couldn't have the radio in the car even if I have a ham ticket. I told him I could and gave him a copy of my ticket.

He went back to his car and made a cell call.He came back and said he was unsure if I was allowed to have it in or not but I should check when I got home. Two things made me mad. One he had no clue about the law and two he asked if I was listening to his cell call. We spent 5 mins talking about the seat belt and another 20 mins talking about the radio. He didn't even know how to read my ham ticket. I just wish that if they are going to have a scanner law that they would learn the laws they are enforcing.

So if you ever visit Michigan just beware that they will take scanner/Ham radio from people that don't have a ham radio ticket. We(my girlfriend and I)Have two cars and I put one in our other car and she got pulled over and it took almost an hour to clear up her having the radio in the car and the radio was turned off!!

So be carefull comming to Michigan !

N9PAR"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.