Michigan Ham Radio Operator pleads guilty to felony, loses license

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K9LMR, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I own Baofengs but operate them 100% legally. So why should I heed that? ;)o_O

Dave
    W7UUU

K8PG and K3XR like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

After you hook one to a spectrum analyzer you will understand.

It is what it is.

Operators that intentionally use them out of band are crazy. But I know a few. :eek:

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have actually. I posted a thread about it a year or so ago. Looked just fine. I have two UV5R Baofengs and both looked well within spec.

However, I'm pretty sure the chap in the news article was involved with something quite more disruptive to emergency services than having a second harmonic that was 1 dB higher than the FCC spectral purity requirements. ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

4. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never understood why people would mess around with public safety radio. I mean...what do they want with it?:confused: Heck, I've got a scanner, but it won't transmit, of course. And I DO listen to the local PoPo on my 2 meter rig sometimes. But transmit? No Siree!

5. W8CON

W8CON Ham Member QRZ Page

In Camerons defense I will say that I know of him through local repeaters, he was heavily into radio of all sort and was a real wiz at programming the old out dated motorolas for use on local repeaters.
    Cam had aspirations of going through the Michigan st police academy (if he hasn't already done so) and eventualy joining the force.
    He also was an experementer with radio (as are a lot of amateurs) and I am pretty sure know of His character somewhat- that his actions were not to disrupt of cause havoc/harm-he's a good kid just got caught up in the hobby beyond reasonable limits.
    A look at his facebook page will show him in a light more favorable then the FCC determination.