Michigan Ham Radio Operator pleads guilty to felony, loses license

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K9LMR, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I own Baofengs but operate them 100% legally. So why should I heed that? ;)o_O

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AB, K4AGO, K8PG and 1 other person like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

After you hook one to a spectrum analyzer you will understand.

It is what it is.

Operators that intentionally use them out of band are crazy. But I know a few. :eek:

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have actually. I posted a thread about it a year or so ago. Looked just fine. I have two UV5R Baofengs and both looked well within spec.

However, I'm pretty sure the chap in the news article was involved with something quite more disruptive to emergency services than having a second harmonic that was 1 dB higher than the FCC spectral purity requirements. ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4IGX, K4AGO, AG5DB and 1 other person like this.
  4. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never understood why people would mess around with public safety radio. I mean...what do they want with it?:confused: Heck, I've got a scanner, but it won't transmit, of course. And I DO listen to the local PoPo on my 2 meter rig sometimes. But transmit? No Siree!

5. W8CON

W8CON Ham Member QRZ Page

In Camerons defense I will say that I know of him through local repeaters, he was heavily into radio of all sort and was a real wiz at programming the old out dated motorolas for use on local repeaters.
    Cam had aspirations of going through the Michigan st police academy (if he hasn't already done so) and eventualy joining the force.
    He also was an experementer with radio (as are a lot of amateurs) and I am pretty sure know of His character somewhat- that his actions were not to disrupt of cause havoc/harm-he's a good kid just got caught up in the hobby beyond reasonable limits.
    A look at his facebook page will show him in a light more favorable then the FCC determination.

KJ4VTH, WD4IGX and KA9JLM like this.
  6. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

In my dealings with the public, most seem to know, or assume, that it is illegal to talk on public service bands. Of course, not all do. It does seem that, even a kid, someone so into radio should know better.

Many years ago I worked as a CAP volunteer after the flooding caused by Hurricane Floyd. One of the county repeaters got drowned out and I was tasked to go survey the damage. NOT repair it, but just to see how bad the flooding was around the little building where it was housed and report back. The county fire marshal gave me a county handy talkie to report back and assigned me an 'empty' county call #. It didn't occur to him that if the repeater was drowned, I pro'bly wouldn't be able to get back to him. (I was right; there was no coverage).
    CAP had an airborne repeater in the air at the time, so I simply relayed my findings back thru the air repeater (on OUR channels), who forwarded it to the EOC, The machine WAS drowned, and I and a county tech returned with a replacement soon after and set it up---on higher ground!;)

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just like about 95% of Professional burglars. ;)

8. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

I was big into the whole computer hacking thing when I was his age too. The internet was brand new to the public and there were plenty of kids like me pushing the boundaries. I wound up being evicted from an apartment after I showed a fellow tenant how to hack into the landline telephone connector panel in the basement. :rolleyes::eek: At least I didn't wind up with any more serious punishment than that, and the rents were being jacked up beyond what I could afford anyway, so I bought an old RV and lived in that on a relative's land.

The facts of the case are pretty strange, sounds like his clone rig was pinging the central system every so often and he may not have been aware of it. Nobody seemed to notice until the cop pulled him over and realized he had an illegal clone radio in his car. If he hadn't been driving around with the rig, he may have gotten away with it.

9. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I use my Baofeng to control the weather in the National Weather Service frequencies.

WD4IGX likes this.
  10. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Humor is in the eyes of the beholder. There is nothing worse than someone who thinks he is funny but in reality is not the least bit funny.