Michigan Ham Radio Operator pleads guilty to felony, loses license

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KB6HZP, May 16, 2018 at 9:44 PM.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KB6HZP

KB6HZP Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Doesn't seem to mean anything. He can get a ham license again in a couple of years if he wants so no big deal.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

... And if I would make illegal transmissions, I could do it without an amateur license.

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

... or, .......He could form a club, and get a club call

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good for him.

Kind of young to be getting in trouble.

Looks like he is a computer hacker type.

He may land a good job in security soon.

6. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it possible that this young man never uttered a word over the MPSCS?

Looks like he bought a P25 trunking radio and cloned a legitimate county radio on the system. The documents associated with this case said the average PTT time across the nearly 1000 times the radio transmitted was less than 5 seconds. I have to wonder if when the radio associates with the trunked multi site system, changes towers, or is polled by the system, if that gets counted as PTT time just like usage to speak over the system?

That doesn't make it any less illegal, but you'd think if they could have identified him making false calls, running tags, and other stuff, the recordings and details of that would have surely been part of the investigation and court papers. Just wondering out loud here and reading between the lines. I'm not trying to diminish the criminality of his actions.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Rather serious stuff hope he cleans up his act a shame to waste his talent on the wrong side of the law. He reminds me of a young guy in the movie I watched last night "Catch Me If You Can" the story of Frank Abagnale Jr. a check forger who wound up working for the FBI.
    https://www.biography.com/people/frank-abagnale-20657335

8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Read the book way before the movie came out. Good read..

K3XR likes this.