ad: Mountaingoat-1

Michgan ham hurt in tower fall

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Sep 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

A Michigan Ham was seriously hurt in a tower fall.  The accident happened North of Lawton.  The climber involved was a long time tower climber and has a lot of experience.  Injuries are a broken jaw, both arms broken and one broken leg.  Gary will make a full recovery after extensive rehab.  

The accident involved the removal of a 160 foot tower.  The top 120 was removed without incident.  Daylight ran out and the next morning Gary and his wife returned to the site.   The last 40 feet appeared to be safe and work began on the remaining 40 feet.  The base of the tower broke and the tower fell with Gary on board.  The tower fell onto a polebarn roof and Gary was crushed between the tower and the roof.  

Gary is a well respected ham and is liked by everyone.   He is a hardworking individual and it is very unfortunate the something like this happened to him.  In the days to come I am sure your prayers and thoughts for Gary would be welcome.  Thanks for reading.

Allen Stap   N8OKU

2. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    I'm sorry to hear that this happened and my prayers do go out. But I'm glad that the base didn't break when he was at 160' (I bet he & his wife are, too)

73 and hope him a speedy recovery - WD8OQX

3. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Regardless

4. N3BIF

N3BIF Guest

Do we have any more info on "Gary",  I understand if it is being witheld .   I wish him well and a quick recovery.

5. WA8VNZ

WA8VNZ QRZ Member

What is the callsign of the ham who fell?

6. WJ9L

WJ9L Ham Member QRZ Page

Those of us that don't climb fear this every time one of our friends climb for us. I have a tower project coming up the end of this week, and I just went out and checked it all over. Thank God for all those who will, and prayers for this ham who fell.

7. KG4RYF

KG4RYF Ham Member QRZ Page

sorry to hear,however it is most fortunenet that it was not higher. i pray for a speedy recovery.

73's

joe

8. N2EA

N2EA Ham Member QRZ Page

Rohn points out that reliable steel supplemental guys
    should be used in dismantling towers.

Taking down old towers is far more risky than putting
    up new, or working on well maintained structures.

In addition, the base is ALWAYS suspect, because it's
    subject to treatment which you can't see. What did they
    do, inside that concrete? It matters!

Our colleague is lucky, despite the severity of his injuries.

Jim/N2EA

9. M3HGV

M3HGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wishing him a very speedy recovery & to his wife whom is probably still shocked by this

Prayers from all us ham`s

very best 73`s to them both
    Steve
    M3HGV

10. KC8UGM

KC8UGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Prayers for him and his family.

11. WX4JAY

WX4JAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I will pray tonight that Gary will have a speddy recovery and be back on the air shortly.

Jason, KG4SFE

12. KD7LDH

KD7LDH QRZ Member QRZ Page

hope he has a speedy recovery... best reguards

-KD7LDH

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Any ham worth calling himself a ham wishes Gary only the best and a speedy recovery.  I doubt that there is one of us out here who hasn't done something, either calculated or a bit careless, that has endangered us in some way.  There is always a bit of luck involved in any enterprise.

Best to you,Gary.  THere are about a million of us out here who would come immediately to your aid if asked.  I mean it.

Mike
    W6MDK

14. PA3GBY

PA3GBY Ham Member QRZ Page

Here a greeting from Holland especially for Gary. I wish him all the best and hope he will recover soon!
    Best 73's de Ron (PA3GBY)

15. KC2KFC

KC2KFC Ham Member QRZ Page

My prayers go out to Gary. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Kevin
    KC2KFC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.