ad: M2Ant-1

Michael T. Gelski-KB0PVD SATERN Western Territorial Cordinator SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N7UR, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N7UR

N7UR Ham Member QRZ Page

I received the following communique from Major Pat McPherson regarding the death of my friend and associate Mike Gelski KB0PVD. Mike knew and appreciated the valuable role that amateur radio operators play in supporting disaster relief efforts. To that end, Mike not only made sure that hams were actively involved in Salvation Army Emergency and Disaster Services responses, but also that the command and administrative personnel were always aware of the contributions made by amateur radio.

I am saddened to inform you that Michael T Gelski KB0PVD passed away suddenly this past Saturday.

Mike was the Emergency Disaster Services Director for Metro Denver of the Intermountain Division of The Salvation Army. He also ran the SATERN program for many years in the Intermountain Division and eventually became the Western Territorial Coordinator for the SATERN program.

Beyond the day to day response that is significant in a metropolitan area such as Denver, Mike responded a number of times at national incidents.

In 1993, Mike was in charge of disaster communications for The Salvation Army in Des Moines, Iowa during the extensive flooding there. The entire city was underwater. His team flew in from Denver to help.

Mike was the first SA EDS person on scene at Columbine. Without his initiative, we would not have been so well represented and able to assist during that tragedy.

Additionally, Mike was the ,"on the ground," team leader in the 2003 Colorado Wildfire Disaster. In the video, "Amateur Radio Today," which Walter Cronkite narrated on behalf of amateur radio, Salvation Army response was highlighted. The canteens, personnel and amateur radio operators, were part of Mike's team. The video may well have been a public relations promotion for The Salvation Army because it so well represented our efforts. Mike's exemplary work in preparation enabled our good response helping those affected by the wildfire and positively reflected Salvation Army disaster response assisted by amateur radio. Amateur radio was dynamic there due to the logistical challenges of vehicle placement caused by the changing course of the fires.

Years ago, early on in my disaster tenure in the Chicago Metro division, I remember getting a newsletter from Mike regarding his team in Denver. It was good to see, such can do spirit displayed regarding our day to day response and our commitment to disaster response in general. That ethic is laudable and inspirational.

I was elated when Mike became a ham radio operator and when he pursued that potential for Salvation Army disaster response. He was able to effect a liaison for SATERN on behalf of the Western Territory and he was a positive attribute on behalf of SATERN and EDS.

Mike was playing in a band with his son, helping The Salvation Army Christmas campaign when he was, "Promoted to Glory."

I am comforted because God has promised us an eternal home. I grieve because I will miss my coworker and friend, but I rejoice because he followed and knew the way.

God bless you all.

Sincerely

Patrick E. McPherson
    Major (R)
    National Director
    SATERN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.