ad: ProAudio-1

Michael Bloomberg was a ham

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB2CAU, Oct 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I checked a bunch of callbooks on archive.org for the "1 land" from '58 to about '67 at random and found no Bloombergs at all.

I'm calling BS. I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong.

W7UUU and WB7OXP like this.
  2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the interview, he said he had a ham license as a child. Since he was an Eagle Scout, he may have got into ham radio as a younger scout, as part of a merit badge process or whatever. He was probably interested in it, but not overly so. The novice license was introduced in 1951, I think. He would have been about 9 years old at that time. He probably got his license between 1953 and 1960, probably a novice, and that was only good for a year, so unless you have every year of callbook in that range, it is hard to say with certainty.

3. W2AI

W2AI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Novice Class with the one and two year term had a 50-60% drop out rate

4. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

"Blumenthal complex"

ND6M likes this.
  5. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

One billionaire running against another billionaire for high office. What else is new?

Maybe he'll follow the lead of Barry Goldwater, who was licensed in 1922 as 6BPI at age 13, but apparently lost interest and let it lapse afterwards. In 1964 he decided to run for president and abruptly took a renewed interest in amateur radio. He became re-licensed as K7UGA in AZ and K3UIG in Washington DC, and remained an active ham until his massive stroke in 1996.

K7UGA Will Get the Ham Vote; 266,000 amateur radio operators

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Archive.org has quite a few, but not all. I checked most that I could find in that range hoping to catch a glimpse of his fleeting novice license. Back then I think it was unlikely that an 11 year old would have a novice license but could be wrong. I guessed that most teens that got started would have been like 15-16 so I started with '58. Anyone with more time than I would be welcome to checking them all! I don't believe he will be found though.

7. W4ZD

W4ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't finally get a license until, as I recollect, I was 17. My younger brother, who seemed interested in everything I did, got his at the same time. He was 12. Precocious little tyke. We worked the country and parts of the world together. It was fun. :)

WR2E likes this.
  8. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Easy he:

JfMrYwH.png

Never uses a callsign. When he does, it's what ever is handy, WD4O for example.

71P886XviAL._SY606_.jpg

KA2RRK

NL7W, W4ZD and WR2E like this.
  9. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A ham that does not remember his callsign? Yep. Definitely BS.

N6QIC, NL7W, W4POT and 2 others like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't disqualify the story based on that.

I've personally met old guys (on the air, or at local club meetings), sometimes in their 80s, who "just now" got back into amateur radio after their previous most recent activity being in the 1950s.:p I ask them, "Wow, what was your old callsign?" and most of them don't remember.

Bloomberg is 76. If he had a ticket when he was 15, that was 61 years ago. If it was a non-renewable ticket like a Novice and it expired, I'd bet almost everyone in that position wouldn't remember.

N6QIC likes this.