MFJ's customer service

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6WI, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6WI

K6WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nearly all electronic components come from overseas. At least MFJ still builds stuff here.

W0FS, KI4ZUQ, AB8JH and 2 others like this.
  2. K6WI

Im my case, none of that. A simple question begat rudeness...Twice. I just bought an MFJ-891. Haven't even unboxed it yet. I'm not anti-MFJ. They just need to work on their attitude with customers.

3. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sad, but true. :(

4. N9EN

N9EN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My post is not nearly as much about their customer service as it is about their quality and workmanship.

I did have a customer service "problem" with them awhile back. I called them to inquire about a specific part for a Butternut HF-2V and the person I spoke with knew absolutely nothing about those antennas; he was there to SELL parts! My phone call was a complete waste of time, both on my part and that of the MFJ employee's.

I have had quality "problems" with their products in the past, although they were problems that I was able to remedy on my own (which I shouldn't have had to do).

The first was with an Ameritron (bought out by MFJ) RCS-8V remote antenna switch. When I installed it, one of the selected positions would not work. It turned out to be a connection that had not been soldered at the factory. The second problem was when I went to use this unit at a later date and wanted to be able to use the remaining position that I had not needed before. Same problem - a connection that had not been soldered at the factory. I guess the second instance was partly my fault, because I should have looked at all of the connections! Then I would have seen the remaining one that had not been soldered.

The other quality concern that I would like to share has to do with an Ameritron AL-82 linear amplifiers. My AL-82 of 22+ years of age, finally quit working, so I sent it back to the factory for repair. They repaired it and after receiving it, I put it back in service. It broke down again. Apparently the high voltage circuit had failed. I went out and bought a new AL-82 (an Ameritron/MFJ unit) and upon taking off the cover, I could see how they had "cheapened" things. The new one did not have a Peter Dahl transformer, as was in the old one. Also, some of the parts that the amplifier was constructed with appeared to be of a "lighter duty" quality. If I had it to do all over again, I would NOT have bought another Ameritron/MFJ AL-82 amplifier.

Just my two cents worth...

5. K6WI

This is what I ran into

6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They've always been very respectful and helpful/ sometimes they do have to call another person call me back.
    Hope you don't like it and it's a newer product just send it back one year no matter what guarantee/ and quit complaining

WZ7U likes this.
  7. K6WI

I see you didn't even bother to read the thread and what it was all about. Go back and read my original post, then make an informed comment.

8. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps the problem was that Butternut antennas aren't made by MFJ. They are currently made by DXEngineering.

K2CD, KI4ZUQ, N2SR and 2 others like this.
  9. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I live a 5 hour drive from Starkville. Hearing MFJ gives tours of facilities, I decided to go for a visit. Staying overnight and arriving at mid morning unannounced, I asked to take the tour. From that point forward I was treated as royalty. Going from department to department and from company to company with a different tour guide, all were exceptional. The tour ended with a 30 minute visit with Martin in his office admiring his personal ham radio collection while enjoying conversation.

The experience made it very clear management understands the importance of service after the sale and leads by example in an effort to maintain and further develop a company culture of providing a superior quality of service to its customers.

KI4ZUQ, WD0BCT, KK4NSF and 2 others like this.
  10. K6WI

Nice. How long ago was that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.