MFJ's customer service

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6WI, Jan 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6WI

K6WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too like their products. I have a few pieces of theirs, and they seem to work fine. My only real comment was with their customer service.

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been buying MFJ products for 40 years. Customer service on the phone has always been excellent. The last time I called the tech person expressed some mild frustration with some callers -- saying he appreciated how polite I had been. Good manners in that situation always pays off.

KJ4YEV, K8PG, KA0HCP and 7 others like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom, for three...

K8PG likes this.
  5. K6WI

K6WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can see that. But I wasn't having a problem with their product. I called and asked a question that wasn't addressed in the manual. I was very polite. I guess it's possible that he may have been having a bad day both times I have talked to him. I had a second question for him, but didn't even bother asking it.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe that bad CSR employee should be called out by name. They could send him for re-training.

K6WI likes this.
  7. KC1NY

KC1NY Ham Member QRZ Page

I wrote them a few months ago with a copy of my license and request for info on modification of AL-80B for 10 meters. This was the stated procedure in the manual (remember: RTFM). Never got a reply. I found the info elsewhere. Not that I've been on 10 meters much:rolleyes:

8. K9KQX

K9KQX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Aside from quality control issues at times, the few times I've called tech support for parts at MFJ they've always been polite and helpful. Tech even took the time to explain info on the proper Installation of a simple switch. Apparently a batch change made orientation slightly different from the original.

Working in customer service in IT, all I can say is some days you really get tired of calls. Some days are better then others. So when you call customer support, ya never know what hell the guy on the other end has gone through that day.

I still like there stuff and it's nice to have something made in the USA.

W9FL and WZ7U like this.
  9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only time I called MFJ was to determine the actual height of the 20' fiberglass push up pole when mounted on their tripod base. The sold both as a unit but had no idea what the final height was. I am sure it varied with the actual spread of the tripod base but I thought they might have some idea of the maximum attainable height of the combination. They had no clue other than it was higher than 20"! Guy I spoke was sorry he did not know and was courteous. He just could not help me.

W0FS likes this.
  10. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have posted on here more than once when this type of topic comes up. The thing to understand, and it is nearly impossible unless you been in the deep south, that things down here are really different especially in Mississippi. From my house in West Tennessee Mississippi is 'bout 60 miles south but 200 years back in time! Well, that's what they say around here! But things and people are a little different here. I am originally from the Seattle area. I got "naturalized" in Birmingham, AL in the late 70's after the Navy. I covered four states as a "market representative" for Warner Electric and learned to understand some of the folks and their ways. Some of you guys may rub them the wrong way with your accent and a sense of timing that is common for your area. Another thing about MFJ is Starkville, MS is just about as country as you can get between two city limit signs. The timing difference is like being on the freeway during the week and on your boat during the weekend: everything should be slower. The other thing is none of the folks down here are stupid. Some of 'em may act that way but not stupid! You get the idea if you have read this far with no paragraph break!

The MFJ folks are all family regardless of color or parents. You can be a part of that family or not. Your choice.

Got an open house comin' up soon! Y'all come, ya hear?

W1TRY, KJ4YEV, N4KZ and 9 others like this.