MFJ's customer service

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6WI, Jan 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And usually the schematic too. Few suppliers will provide them. Some will as part of an expensive service manual.

I had to troubleshoot a problem with my MFJ remote autotuner (way out of warranty) and having the schematic was a huge help.

Word to the wise:

These days customer service has mostly gone online, as a real time "chat" with a service agent, or via email or webform which starts the process for somebody to get back with you.

You can try using the phone but mostly that will result in frustration, if you can even find a way to phone them. Many companies have made it quite difficult to find their customer service phone number.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    K8PG likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never had that problem. Everybody I've talked there at all levels has been polite, friendly, and helpful to the best of their ability. I would say they are likely under a fair amount of strain what with covid, etc., just like everybody else. ;)

K8BZ, K0UO, KK4NSF and 5 others like this.
  3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

What was the question asked? Just curious.

I used to work as a Tech Writer/Tech Support Rep at AEA (of PK-232 fame for those who remember) and sometimes I had bad afternoons after "x" amount of customers' mishegoss, so I became a little condescending when I got questions that, for the level of expected expertise of users, they should have known better to ask. Sometimes, I just wanted to blurt out "Really?!"

It's hard to be professional 100% of the time--if it's a rare slip then it's forgivable, but if it happens more often then it's time to shop elsewhere.

K0UO, W0FS, KI4ZUQ and 3 others like this.
  4. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have never had a problem
    with MFJ, always respectful
    and the right info, 43 yrs buying
    their products. Everyone should
    always eyeball new equipment .

Paul K8PG

K6DWI, K0UO and KK4NSF like this.
  5. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was able to get schematics and user manual from ACOM, well in advance of ordering an amplifier.

6. K6WI

K6WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, there could be that. Other companies I have talked to were not this way.

7. K6WI

K6WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. anyone can have a bad day. I have worked in customer service solid for the last 12 years, and in general, worked with the public many years more. Sometimes I just want want to blurt out something, but I don't. i figure that if I can't do the job, time to find something else, which I have done in the past.

The tech I talked to today is the same one I talked to a previous time I called. He had attituede both times. Maybe he thinks he is about answering question form a lowly end user because he works on gear. Just a thought, though i have seen it before.

8. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And they don’t have color TVs.

KG7HZT, W0FS and KI5WW like this.
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like MFJ, and I think they have done more for amateur radio than most people know. I realize their stuff is not always perfect, but the price is right, and a number of their products are unique. I have around six pieces of MFJ gear, and have only had one problem. I had purchased a 976 balanced tuner, and someone forgot to install the coaxial choke so there was no internal connection.

That was fixed in the time it took to place a phone call, and three days for the post office to deliver the part. I only talked to two people who were both friendly, and helpful. They sent the part right away, and I did install it, however, I never really liked the tuner as well as my Ten Tec 238, so I sold it.

W9FL, KK4NSF, W0FS and 2 others like this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't speak to that...everybody I've come in contact with at MFJ from Martin on down has been, as I said, polite and friendly. :)

K6DWI, N8FF, W9FL and 2 others like this.