ad: k1jek

MFJ tuners really that bad?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KF7WMM, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ has excellent engineering and lousy QC
    'Twas always thus, and ever more shall be...

2. KF7WMM

KF7WMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks again for the opinions...For the money I may go for a palstar AT-500,their "entry level" tuner,under $500.00,Bob

3. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, but the 1500 Watts Plate Input hasn't been the legal limit in a few decades.

Legal limit is 1500 watts in the US to FCC Licensed Amateurs. If a tuner is a "Legal Limit" tuner, it better be able to handle 1500 watts all day long ICAS, or it's false advertising!

4. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

Look for a Heathkit SA-2060 or SA-2060A. You will NOT be disappointed (unless you need to have an Auto Tuner). $500 would be the high end.

5. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not build one?

Commercial ATU's... Not all but some ATU's either have too much inductance in or two little inductance in.... what to do with the unused inductance?

Well your damned if you short the unwanted inductance out, remember those induction soldering guns? The tip forms a shorted turn through a coil.

You leave it opened you are damned again, under some ATU settings the unused end could create a corona as it behaves like a Tesla coil.

These two produces losses, so build your own with just the right amount of inductance, using as little L as possible.

I very nearly bought a MFJ ATU myself a while back, decided to make my own, because of their 'wavering' production runs. It's quite amazing with MFJ it's not just the ATU they screw up, it's other products too.

A poor do MFJ what have you to say?

Dave

6. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My 989C works just fine *shrug*

7. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi to you all

MFJ tuners are not that bad at all.
    If you carefully read the instruction manual and not only the first 2 pages, you can use them for many years.
    All tuners have their problems and good and bad points.

I even arced my 2KW S-match capacitor with 3 mm plate distance on 40 meters.
    On 40 meters my antenna is fed in a high voltage point at the open wire feeders.

But as I say if you tune with care and knowledge an MFJ can give you years of trouble free operation.

I do find that their power handeling maximums are on the high side and a 300 watt tuner is only a 100 watts.

73 Jos

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have several different MFJ tuners, and they are fine. Yes, on at least one, I had to tighten some hardware that was missed in assembly, but my high end tuner has never had a problem in many years of use. My dad was a fanatic antenna tuner builder, so I've seen a lot of them, some better than others. It is certainly possible to build a good tuner, but you will quickly discover that there is a religion associated with various designs. My dad thought the Ultimate Transmatch was the ultimate until someone proved that it wasn't, which caused him to rebuild it.

9. KF7WMM

KF7WMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Again,thanks for all the replys...I see the MFJ 993B has recieved some pretty good "press"..Anyone using that AT?..Bob

10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You wanna prosecute MFJ for a 30 year old manual? Huh?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.