MFJ model 874 power/swr meter

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KJ4RT, Nov 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4RT

KJ4RT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think they callit a Grandmaster. Just wondering if anyone is using one and if so pros and or cons. I purchased one yesterday. I have never owned a meter capable of 6, 2 and 440. That is why the questions. My standard low band meter is a Swan however it only works from 1.8-30 Mhz.

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used one in the past and have another of their VHF/UHF meters as well as their big one for HF. Verdict on all of them? Certainly not lab-grade precision, but they get the job done.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Never used one.

Does it have separate couplers for VHF-UHF that are different from the coupler used on HF?

If not, pretty much guaranteed it will be both inaccurate and also exhibit insertion loss at VHF-UHF. But if it does have separate couplers, that might be pretty cool.

The big "problem" with most VHF-UHF in-line power meters is if they're not designed to just look exactly like a couple of inches of 50 Ohm coax and maintain that through UHF, then of course they can't be very good. "Accuracy" isn't even the issue.

The reason I use Bird Thrulines on those bands isn't for accuracy, it's for them having zero insertion loss and creating zero impedance bump in the line, which at 144 MHz isn't "too bad" of a problem, but becomes worse at 432 MHz and a whole lot worse above that.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Plain old SO-239s on the one I had some years ago. But, as I said, "sufficient unto its task"--for me.

5. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like separate couplers.
    Mike N3PM