MFJ MFJ-4603 Window Feed through Panel - coaxial

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KF0AGJ, Jun 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF0AGJ

KF0AGJ Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009470 lots of antenna conections and even groun ding port(would it replace necessity to ground antenna?) I don't want to drill multiple wholes in my semi basement concrete walls with stucco. I have full window(at ground level) next to desk. I think that MFJ MFJ-4603 Window Feed through Panel would be best solution. But the problem is I have double windows and the panel is for one window - so I would have to leave second window cracked open for cables. That would be security issue. Also, would reduce thermal efficiency( not really worried). Of course I could unscrew cables after each usage and close second window but it seems like a hastle. Anybody used this panel with double windows? Other alternatives.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not wild about window entrance panels but they are pretty popular.

Why not just add a length of treated wood (like a 1x2 or whatever) to the top of the panel to make it "much thicker" so both windows can close onto it?

Yes, security issues; but then, anyone can break a glass window with a rock, so unless other precautions are taken, windows aren't too secure by design.:p

We don't have dual windows here, but we do have screens and then windows, so to close them both on one of these entrance panels we'd have to do something similar.

3. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

You would have to use two of the panels - one for each window. Still a security risk if the window doesn't lock. Old fashioned security device - wedge a board between the top of the bottom pane and the top of the window frame. You can't open the window without breaking the board. People outside can see that it is braced, and won't use it to enter.

Tom

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Get a piece of plywood or plexiglass and build one to your specifications.

5. KF0AGJ

good suggestion, thanks

6. KF0AGJ

anybody made one? Would be nice to have plans, parts list.
    Should I add grounding plate in the panel? Would it be sufficient for all antennas running through the panel?

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"To your own specifications" would imply nobody would have the plans, you draft them yourself based on what you actually need. Possibly half the stuff (or more than half) provided by the MFJ product are things you'd never need; if you just need to bring in coax, all you need for that is one feedthrough bulkhead dual female UHF adapter like this:
    upload_2020-6-19_15-30-27.jpeg

One per cable you need to pass through. Possibly that's "all" you need, so this would be really simple.

The MFJ product does have a stainless steel plate on each side of a (I believe treated wood) panel so all the coaxial connectors are automatically grounded once connected, assuming the panel itself is grounded. The "open wire" or "balanced line" feedthroughs are not grounded, nor is the "random wire" feedthrough or the DC banana jack connectors.

If you made something similar but with aluminum or galvanized steel (easier to find and cheaper than stainless steel) sheets on each side and used a thicker piece of treated lumber -- thick enough that both windows would close on it -- you'd likely have exactly what you need. Would take a few tools and maybe an hour to put it all together.

8. KE8HSF

KE8HSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one and it comes with a board to use as the locking brace that is inserted at the top of the "open" window. As for double windows mine is set at the inside window and the outer storm window allows me to open it just enough for the coax cables to fit through. Havent had any major issues other then those stupid brown marmorated stink bug that are everywhere now getting in through the small gap at the top where the inside windows lower pane section overlaps the top pane section. To fix this I stuffed an old shirt that was rolled up into the gap, though if I have a window AC unit in a window the stink bugs easily get in that way too, amont the many other ways they seem to find a way into the home.

KB2SMS likes this.
  9. KF0AGJ

So I can ground the panel and at that point I don't have to ground individual antennas?

10. WA0CBW

WA0CBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, as long as each coax is connected to the feed-thru(s). This grounds the coax shields as required by the NEC.
    Bill