ad: Preppcomm-1

MFJ items are all OOS everywhere

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WW4LLL, Apr 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WW4LLL

WW4LLL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been trying to buy a full range HF tuner at a reasonable price. and I really like my MFJ 906 6M model. But MFJ has completely dropped the ball on stock. Every HF tuner is backordered until late June. I just cancelled a tuner order I placed with them. At the time I placed it, I got no indication that is was OOS--I got an email on day 5 telling me it would be delayed.

I just called to get an update, and the tuner won't be available until late June. Seems that's the case with pretty much every MFJ tuner. Yet they have charged my account! How do they stay in business if they have nothing to ship? And what's a good alternative, because I have lost interest in doing business with MFJ.

2. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's cause all us here hams gots are stimulus check!

:D

N1VAU likes this.
  3. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I ordered several items from MFJ about 6 weeks ago. I am still waiting for a power cord.

I prefer ordering direct from their MS office, but you might be able to get the unit you want from a dealer such as DXE, HRO, etc.

4. WW4LLL

Nope, OOS everywhere.

W2QL likes this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It ain't just MFJ, alas. I was in the market for a Palstar a few months ago. Nope. And it is the same with a lot of amateur gear. :(

Anyhow, I have an MFJ-998 I've used nearly every day for years with great success. I would say maybe get "interested" in them again and wait a couple of months or buy used. Although tuners, like amps, can be dicey used. ;)

6. WW4LLL

Seems true. The virus has been around for over a year, and companies are still using it as an excuse for not having inventory. Sad.

K6EFA and KP4SX like this.
  7. N1EBC

N1EBC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's more than electronics, here in nw FL Building companies are having issues getting windows and shingles. Just tues our cabinet company I work for had 1500 board foot of maple back ordered. We order this every week. The week before 48sheets of 3/4 birch plywood back ordered.

nosaj
    n1ebc

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ may have been nearly shut down for months ("the lockdown"), I really don't know.

But lots of places were. "Working from home" isn't possible when it's a factory assembling stuff.:p

There have also been major delays in parts from China, and everybody assembling anything electronic uses parts from China. There's even delays in delivery of sheet aluminum! We didn't see this at first (months ago) but we're seeing it now. Not sure why.

WA8FOZ and KA2RRK like this.
  9. KB3BCO

KB3BCO Ham Member QRZ Page

I ordered a 949E tuner from them on 2/3 with no mention of supply issues and they immediately debited the payment. After a week with no further contact I called and asked about the order. I was told the tuner was on the workbench and ready to be tested. As soon as testing was complete it would be on the way, supposedly in about 2 days. This phone call and response was repeated on a weekly basis until I cancelled the order on 3/8. I ordered an in stock LDG tuner from DXE and had it in 2 days. I've been very satisfied with it.

K8XG likes this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not an excuse of any kind. Supply chains are in a shambles...workers laid off and not yet back...to top it off, the chip factory disaster. You know what? I'd bet MFJ and the rest would LOVE to sell tuners (or whatever) if they could make them to sell. Unfortunately, some of the effects of the pandemic will be with us for a long time...have you checked the price of building materials and groceries, just to name two things? ;)

KB2SMS, WA9SVD, N0TZU and 4 others like this.