MFJ/Ameritron

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by W5PX, Jul 17, 2019.

?

Problems with MFJ/Ameritron repairs?

1. Yes same problems

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Great Company..

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5PX

W5PX Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a word to the wise.. I sold my ALS 82 and bought a new ALS 1306 Solid State Amp.. through Giga Parts..
    3 years ago .. Never really used the amp all that much. Decided to try the 6 Meter band one morning.. SWR--1.1 everything was super great. Then something sounnded like a shotgun Bang!) and my ALS 1306 was dead as a hammer.. I called MFJ/Ameritron and created a ticket. well after several email exchanges, they recommended that I ship it back to the factory for repair..That was June 5th 2019.. Today is July 17th and I have pulled the email with the ticket and tracking number and tried to no avail to get a response from Ameritron. I have spent a lot of time trying to get someone on the phone .. Finally today I reached their standard phone number. The young man I spoke to was kinda like talking to a kid who knows nothing!! He kept telling that as soon as the "Tech returned to work" he'd have him contact me.. I asked the young man, Ok I says how will you know who to tell the tech to contact.. ( Pior to this the young man had never asked me my name or call sign).. then he asked me my name.. And and said we are way behind, once we get a Tech again, i'll have him call you..
    So, just don't fall into the trap I did, by sending MFJ/Ameritron you equipment.. I may never hear from them again. I may have to seek legal action to reach someone who knows where my $3,000 Amp is..
    PJ
    W5PX

2. WA4BCS

WA4BCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My ALS600 died in June. Sent it in and got it back this week. Apparently John is the only tech for these amps. His communications were fast and accuate. They do have a back log.

K0UO and W3RGA like this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

COOL DOWN OM PHIL!
    MFJ IS A SMALL AMERICAN COMPANY, NOT CORPORATE.
    I HAVE YET TO BE DISAPPOINTED WITH THEIR SERVICE.
    THEY WILL MAKE IT RIGHT!
    MAYBE U MAY SHOULD ASK FOR AN EXCHANGE OR A REFUND....
    BEING / GETTING PISSY WITH THESE FOLKS WON'T GET U ANY WHAR SO BE ADVISED.
    BE ON GOOD MANNERS
    THAT GOES A LONG WAY...
    BEEN DEALING WITH THEM THRU GOOD AND BAD SINCE '07.
    BE A BIT PATIENT, FREQUENT BUT FRIENDLY FONE CALLS WILL HELP EXPEDITE...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been buying and using MFJ gear for decades. Nothing too expensive , just tuners and QRP radios. This stuff is pretty simple and I was able to fix up a few problems that I found, no gripes from me !
    I probably would never buy an amp from Ameritron, too expenseive for this retired guy.

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I ship a radio off for repairs I expect 6-8 weeks minimum.

Cool your jets and give the technicians time to get through their workload, then diagnose yours, order parts, repair and test. This stuff doesn't happen overnight.

Re-learn the humility of operating barefoot! :)

WA7PRC and WD4IGX like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just chill.

It will be awhile before 6 meters is open again.

I never heard of a shotgun shell being a spare part inside their amps. :rolleyes:

7. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you need at least one more selection in this opinion poll. Something in the middle.

8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

An option is to repair it one’s self. It still takes a few weeks to figure out the parts to get, find an evening to tear it open and replace the finals. Align it, test it out... find out that more parts are needed.

With a transistor amp, I’d rather pay someone to do that. :p

No matter how you slice it, repairs take time.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    N8AFT likes this.
  9. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The man has been waiting a month and a half to hear back from someone at MFJ for crying out loud. You all telling him to chill, and have more patience is crazy. I'd be somewhat upset as well if I'd not gotten a word back after that long as well. Whose to say they even got the amp or not?

You all know of the poor quality of craftmanship that MFJ has gotten a reputation for lately, right? So to not be at the least a little sympathetic to this man's problem is just odd to me. Just saying.

To the guy who started this thread, I feel for you man. I would have a issue as well. I see where you are coming from. Even if the others don't. Good luck with getting the issue resolved soon. Perhaps if you call Giga-parts and explain the problem to them. Then perhaps they have the clout to expedite the repairs for you. 73.

WN1MB likes this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, it's one thing for the repair to take this long, it's quite another to hear nothing at all ABOUT it.

"We've received it" and an estimated time to repair and return it, with an update sent if it looks like that date is going to be missed, would seem reasonable to expect.

WN1MB likes this.