MFJ-941 Versa Tuner II (The original one) Reading SWR w/ meter

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N6JPA, Aug 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6JPA

N6JPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an old MFJ-941 tuner. This is the original unit not a MFJ-941A thourgh F Unit. It does not have a cross meter needle like the later models and I'm try to figure out how to read reflected power when using the SWR to set it. If someone knows how or has a manual for it laying around I would appreciate any help. I have searched Google and Yahoo, but I'm only finding manuals for MFJ-941 A though F which have cross needles. TIA
    Keith KM6WIZ

2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Try pulling on the SWR/WATTS knob to switch between Forward and Reflected modes.

3. N6JPA

Thank you. That solved my problem. 73, Keith

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just FYI, not all of the MFJ-941 tuners, A through F, have cross needle meters. I have a MFJ-941D and it has a single needle meter just like your unit. The MFJ-941C also only has the single needle meter. But the C and D versions use buttons, rather than pushing/pulling on one of the knobs. Those, and the E version, are the only 941 manuals that I have. I didn't look any further.

You might also want to stock up on diodes. When I bought my MFJ-941D used, the SWR bridge was blown out and the plastic cup for the open-wire balun was melted. That was OK with me, because the unit was going cheap. It was a simple fix, replacing the diodes, but mine has gone out twice since the original blow out. Otherwise, it works fine.

5. N6JPA

Thanks for the information Martin. When I received the tuner I opened it up to check everything and it is all still in tact. It is now accepting a load and I'm tuning a random length wire with no problems. I got lucky. :cool:

6. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

In reference to Martin's post on blown diodes, I've had them go bad from wind static, both fixed and mobile.
    Mike N3PM

7. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

When tuned, the reflected power should be near zero anyway. The only way to read reflected power at a non-resonant point is to tune the tuner into a 50 ohm dummy load first, and then switch to the antenna. Not really practical. Most radios have reflected power scales also.

Tom