ad: M2Ant-1

For Sale MFJ 40/20 meter OCF Dipole

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by W9EBK, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. W9EBK

W9EBK Ham Member QRZ Page

I am selling my 5 year old MFJ-2010 Off-Center Fed Dipole antenna. As expected for an antenna that has been outdoors for 5 years the copper wire has a dark patina, the feedline is stained black thanks to my neighbor’s shade tree, and there is rust on the screws that hold the plastic feed section together, but electrically I experienced zero problems with it. I took it down to replace it with the MFJ-2012 1 KW version of the same design so I can use an amplifier if I want. I am including about 35 feet of Belden RG-8X with the antenna. The feedline is terminated with a PL-259, so you should be able to string it up with some lightweight rope and get on the air right away. $35 plus actual shipping cost. It will weigh about 5 pounds once it’s packed. I accept Pay-Pal or we can work something out. I prefer you contact me via email rather than leave a message on QRZ.

For those not familiar with the design it is a 66 foot long 40 meter dipole, but instead of feeding it directly at the center, it is fed with a 4:1 balun 1/3 of the way along its length. This allows it to match on 40 meters and 20 meters. The pattern is the standard figure 8 dipole pattern on 40 and has 4 lobes with about 3 Db gain on 20 meters. I found that at a height of 15 feet it did indeed present a very low SWR across the band, and patterned as expected on both 20 and 40. According to MFJ it also works nicely on 10 meters and 6 meters. My results were that it matched 50 Ohms very high in the band on both 10 and 6. I mean all the way up in the FM portion of both bands. With my auto tuner 28 MHz and 50 MHz matched well enough to keep the radio happy and I made some contacts. With my new MFJ-2012 I find a similar result, although a bit lower in the band on both 6 and 10. This poor match could be the result of having it up just 15 feet, or having 3 buildings with in 30 feet of it.

Don, W9EBK

Attached Files:

2. W9EBK

W9EBK Ham Member QRZ Page

Per email I received- This antenna is very light weight. As I remember, it I put it up with 3/16 inch Dacron rope and had no issues with it for 5 years. MFJ's unusual end insulators don't cause any serious wear on the rope.

3. QRZ
    Important Rules
    Have you read our Swapmeet Safety Rules?

This forum enforces a set of buying/selling safety rules for the benefit of all users. Make sure that you're familiar with the rules before posting or replying in this area. Our moderators review every post in this forum and will flag or delete those that do not conform.