MFJ-259B SWR Analyzer

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W1GUH, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotta say that the 259b is the best investment in test equipment I have made in quite a while. Wish that MFJ made a smaller version that could be used mobile with a screwdriver antenna ! Set mine up with markers on the mast to use with manual controller, and the 259b. Works well. But, if I had a smaller one with a good coax switch I could almost tune the antenna while driving.
    (won't actually do that as it takes too much attention)
    james
    WD5GWY

2. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

My '259 has the recessed switch and it, too, can be switched on accidentally. But the fix of using a power connector as a safety is so easy and cheap that to me, this is a non-problem.

3. KD8MKG

KD8MKG Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one of these from a local ham who was getting out of HF for $140. I have since learned that there are about 6 local hams that called about it just after I snagged it... which led to 'so you're the one' type comments in the last meeting. hahaha

I don't have an HF rig yet, but just for fun plugged it into my Jetstream mobile antenna. Showed a 1.1 SWR smack-dab in the middle of 2m with a 50 Ohm impedance.

So... it does what one would expect it to! No complaints.

4. W1GUH

Congrats! Adding words to make the reply "legal."

5. W6OF

W6OF Ham Member QRZ Page

i have been very happy with mine and its a lot faster and easier than using return loss bridges etc

a friend had the 269 - it was squirrely and acted weird

do you really need to test swr on uhf ?

I have always measured and ohmed for shorts and have never had uhf problems

majority of pa problems are going to be from crappy connectors or poorly installed nmo connectors

IF the antenna is resonant etc

6. K7RQ

K7RQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I got mine from the estate of a SK. It had the Ni-Cd batteries in it, and it seemed like every time I wanted to use it they were discharged. I replaced them with AA alkalines and it seems like they last forever.

7. W1GUH

"a friend had the 269 - it was squirrely and acted weird "

When I bought my '259 at Jun's (Great ham store!), at first he didn't think he had one in stock, so he cut me a deal on the '269. Then he found that he DID have a '259, so it was my decision which one to get. I got the '259 and your comment makes me glad I did. Don't really anticipate needing anything more.

8. AC8JD

AC8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard other hams say "the MFJ 259 takes the black magic out of antennas". I couldn't agree more myself.

9. NI7I

NI7I Guest

Does that mean that you must agree less?

NI7I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.