ad: cq2k-1

MFJ-259B SWR Analyzer

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W1GUH, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4CBJ

W4CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ 259B Antenna Analyzer

TO: K8WPJ. If you are having trouble recharging the batteries, assuming that they are positioned correctly in the battery holder is: IF one or more cells are dead or has very low voltage, the rest will not charge. Measure each cell with a multi-meter, preferably a digital one, since they will read low voltage accurately. Be careful to set aside the "bad" ones and if they are reading zero orta negative voltage.....throw them away. NiCads in this condition are impossible to charge. Best if you use the same manufacturer and type to replace the bad ones. Try this and let us know your results. 73 Joe W4CBJ

2. VE3DYC

VE3DYC Ham Member QRZ Page

259/269 Differences

Several differences between the 259 and the 269:

1. 269 covers 70 cm. band.
    2. 269 allows the SWR to be referenced to a number of other resistances other than 50 ohms. Useful if you're building non-50 ohm antennas, or using balanced feeders.
    3. The measurement jack of the 269 is N-type rather than PL259 UHF. (The 259 has a "UHF" jack.) Not a big problem - adapters are readily available. I received one no extra charge from MFJ, without asking.
    This is why the dipper coils for the two models are different, I think.

The On/Off switch on both models has been changed to a type with a surrounding lip that prevents it from being switched by mistake - in fact, it is a bit difficult to use if you have big fingers. I think complaints about the switch are a bit of "common" knowledge should just go away - at least for recent purchases.

If you haven't handled one, the pictures don't give a good understanding of the test jacks. There is a main coax jack used when the feeder is coax. A pin is supplied, which slips into the center contact of the coax jack, to be used for one side of a balanced line - and the terminal at the left of the pic is used for the other side. These can also be used when you are connecting directly to wire terminals at the feedpoint of an antenna.

- Fred Ve3DYC

3. KB1TJY

KB1TJY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard the the 259B is an absolute must-have and have yet to read anything negative about it.

However, being a new Ham (just got my General) who is a complete newbie by any standard and having just set up a Hustler 60BTV, radials in, etc., I find myself standing in front of the antenna with the 259B saying "Now what?".

Unfortunately I have zero access to outside help and wish the manual was more detailed (step by step) for tuning the traps, etc., the new 6-BTV in my yard. As of this writing it's pretty much a paperweight. :(

Any comments, suggestions would be more than greatly appreciated.

Lyman
    KB1TJY

4. K6JEA

K6JEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, this thread just cost me $220.

Thanks,
    Jim

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  5. N9FM

N9FM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ vs. All Others

Greetings All,

I have been looking at the MFJ's for a bit now. However, I would like to know how they compare to the other manufacturer's analyzers - for I have a bit of a problem getting anything else from Mighty Fine Junk.

Tom, since you wrote the manual on the MFJ product, maybe you could shine some light on the subject. I am sure that I am not the only one with this question. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Scott

6. KB1TJY

KB1TJY Ham Member QRZ Page

I spoke to MFJ about that switch and they said they went with the recessed switch as people would accidently hit the original protruding square switch and drain the batteries.

KB1TJY

7. K6JEA

OK, mine is ordered but won't be here until the end of the week. I have a question. Is there a way to check antennas fed with ladder line with out buying their Analyzer Current Balun?

Thanks,
    Jim

8. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, just make sure to run the 259B off of internal batteries while doing it!

fp

9. K6JEA

Thanks, got it. Had to make an adapter for the center feed as the one that came with the 259b fell apart before I could use it.

Jim

10. NS8N

NS8N Ham Member QRZ Page

Alright, finally bit the bullet and ordered one of these. It has been a PAIN not having an antenna analyzer. This will save on the advils if nothing else. Best price I could find was gigaparts $239 shipped. I read some horror stories on eham of "kit versions" being sent to them (things not soldered and such) I hope I get lucky with mine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.