MFJ-259b SWR Analyzer/RF Impendence Meter

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W0AAV, Nov 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0AAV

W0AAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I was recently looking at the daiwa swr meter and decided against it for the price and funtionalability I would look at the MFJ-259b SWR Analyzer/RF Impendence Meter. I was wondering if this model of SWR meter is a good one and if it is reliable... So often I hear of swr meters dieing early deaths and I am limited on what I can spend therefore I would not wish to spend over 100 dollars only to have a short lived piece of equipment. I have friends with MFJ products and claim they love them and that they are very accurate, however I want more input and advise before I buy. Thank you to all that reply.

2. K3SAM

K3SAM Ham Member QRZ Page

So, you want input on the MFJ-259b now ?  If that is the case, do not confuse this with a swr meter that goes between your radio and antenna.  The MFJ is a stand alone analyzer that tells you the characteristics of your antenna and coax.  It helps you adjust / design your own antennas.  It is an excellent piece of test equipment (so I've been told), and I will let you know first hand my opinion in a week after I've played with my new one.

I have the MFJ-269 coming, which is the new version.  The major difference is it also covers 2 meters and 440, and incorporates A/D technology.

-Sam

3. W5ALT

W5ALT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't speak directly for the MFJ-259B, but I've had the newer MFJ-269 for a year or so and wouldn't want to mess with antennas without it. As mentioned, it is not your typical SWR/power meter. You don't want to transmit into it!

It contains a builtin oscillator and can be used for a wide variety of tasks, only one of which is measuring SWR. In addition it can find the resonant frequency of an antenna system, check on transmission lines, measure antenna impedance - not just resistance. It also has a builtin frequency counter and can be used to measure capacitance and inductance. I've also used it as a low level signal source (not highly stable) in a pinch. The MFJ-269 covers from about 1.8 - 170 MHz and the 70cm band.

If you are serious about doing much with antennas, then you'll find it a good investment.

4. W0AAV

W0AAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you fellows for the post... I was comparing the two products that I inquired about to see which would work the best for me.. I had a friend who wasnt very bright he transmitted into it and well it doesnt work so nicely now [​IMG] I asked him how he liked it and he told me that story so he never really got to use it... I guess mistakes happen but onceagain I do thank you for posting replies to my questions.

5. K3SAM

Well, I just learned something.  I thought the 259B was the latest model out, but a quick tour of the MFJ web site shows the 269.

My favorite quote that I use daily is "if you don't learn something new every day, the day has been wasted".  At least my day isn't wasted.  On to learn more...

73, Sam

PS:  In reading the manual for my new 259B, and comparing it with the "new" stuff for the 269, my manual says that my 259B will do everything the 269 will do.  Don't know ?

6. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] used to own a 259 it was great ( wish I had it back )... to my knowledge the BIG dofference between the 259 & 269 is the 269 will work on 440 Mhz... I do know the 259 will NOT work on 440 mhz... other than that...check with other folks... [​IMG] kd4amg

7. K3SAM

I live up to my promises, I love the MFJ269 !!  Thanks for the heads up and it does have major updates besides the 8 to 16 bit A/D converter.  Good job MFJ.

-Sam  [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.