ad: MyersEng-1

MFJ-226 Graphical Impedance Antenna Analyzer - Full Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Sep 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's a full review of the MFJ-226 antenna analyzer including the PC software, the unboxing and main features. Please share and like, thanks for watching. 73 Pascal VA2PV

Attached Files:

WA6QGH and KK6BXR like this.
  2. N3YKF

N3YKF QRZ Member QRZ Page

A better product: Times Technologies T-101. Down side is that it's only VHF and UHF, in two bands. Upside? Cheaper by 100$.
    Had mine for 6 years (T-100). Taken on countless dx trips.
    Bought a working, in cal Anritsu S113b for a reasonable price on the bay (cost of the new MFJ unit reviewed here). Flat out awesome.
    When the other house sells, I think it's time for a new Anritsu VNA master/spec an.

KC2PLH likes this.
  3. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Norman, Look closely at the unit in the video, on top of the screen it as this "Times Technology", it used the same software and driver as the one you mention. They also look like twins. For Anritsu they make more commercial units and cost way more brand new... 73 Pascal VA2PV

4. N3YKF

N3YKF QRZ Member QRZ Page

Hope that the build quality/support is the same. If so, worth the $$.
    The only way to buy Anritsu gear is used. Dude that sold the one I have was a known quantity (Dave Rosen, Avatar unlimited : ebay). 14 day right of return. Cost was right. Dollars for performance worth it. Total investment, including OSL SMA M and F kit and a new battery? 500$. (S113b, 5-1200 MHz)
    Has taken me weeks of playing to have a moderate+ understanding of what it's capable of. Very worth it.
    The new Anritsu unit I want costs as much as a new Mercedes.

5. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

With MFJ what you DON'T get is service. If something goes wrong you are left out in the cold. MFJs service department is almost as bad as the NEW TenTec. I know many won't agree, but that has been my experience more than once. MFJ is referred to as Mighty Fine Junk for a very valid reason.

K3RW likes this.
  6. KC2QQR

KC2QQR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got one of these myself. I like it and I have made a lot of antennas with this device. I also use it to test and verify antennas that haven't been used in a while before connecting them to a rig. I have saved money just saving the finals on older rigs and amps. It is also a great tool to demonstrate real-time examples of how wave propagation works and how antennas work.

This is one tool that will never leave my toolbox.

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

When they start offering 75 Ohm capability I may be interested.

8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have one and love it. AA batteries beats having a discharged unit when you need it, carry a couple extras and never be out. Also one of the few that give the sign of the complex impedance as well. The S11 value is also valuable. It is made by Times Technology who, probably by contract offer only the UHF/VHF version themselves. IMHO good price point for a very good item. Not a color display but viewable in all lightning conditions. YMMV

AA5CT likes this.
  9. KF6RW

KF6RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. For this range of frequency <160MHz. You can order cheap terminations for Calibration.... if you intent to look at your balun xfmr designs. I ordered myself a cheap chain octopus of SMA terminations (short, open, 50) each came with little chain which I fed into screw to keep them together :)

K8AI likes this.
  10. MM6ECO

MM6ECO Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ-226 antenna analyzer! purchased one here in the UK. I have made lots of antennae using this product and saved myself a lot of aluminium tube cutting disasters! lol especially on moxons and jpoles!

Excellent to use in real time to get that perfect resonance!
    It`s a bit heavy on the batteries so I tend to use it quickly without having it switched on for long periods...

Ended up buying rechargeable batteries with a capacity of 2500ma at 1.2V... Does the job better now!

11. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I still use a light bulb for tuning my antenna system. I was thinking of upgrading to an SWR meter lately.

Anyways, enjoyed watching the video. Keep up the good work.

12. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Pascal. I am looking into buying an antenna analyzer like this, but I was hoping that 70cm would be included. Yet, for the price it is a great unit. Thanks for the review.

13. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

$300 for a shirt pocket toy? What is taking the Chinese so long to offer even better for $100-125?

14. N2NUT

N2NUT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 226 for sale, perfect condition. I have no problems with the device, it has been a great tool. I carried it in my bag with the KX2 and used it with a Buddipole.