MFJ 18xxT series

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3JIN, May 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

There are also "sand stakes" to hold a surf fishing pole.

..some shorter, some longer.

They work quite well.

2. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wandering away from the 18xxT antennas, I bring on my travels a 20' Shakespeare Wonder Pole. I can either run it with the radiator as a sloper, or wind it around the pole. The advantage of the WonderPole is that it's like $20 versus the Sota and Jackite offerings.

I also have an 1899T and I just got an AX1. I will be building some counterpoise "assemblies" for these for the different bands to use with my KX3 and I want to see how I get out with the two "compromise" antennas.

My biggest successes have been with an end-fed that +KU3X sold me. Wonderful unit. Covers 10-40 meters. My go-to is to fly the end of this up with the WonderPole and I start making Qs.

Cabelas sells a "sand stake" - two lengths, 18" and 48". It has 1.75" "collar" that holds the WonderPole quite nicely. It's $9.

KU3X likes this.
  3. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

I already have a 20ft pole, does work nicely for 20m wire vertical!

Tell me about your wire antenna.

4. WC3T

The one I got from KU3X? It's a wire antenna, end fed, 40-10 meters. Not much else to say. I think he built it himself. He's a club member. Used to have an antenna business but sold it. My OCF dipole is his design as well.

KU3X likes this.
  5. KC3JIN

Gotcha. When I googled his call I got a webpage where he talks about resonant wire antennas. Was curious as to what you were using to have such success! My own experiences with random / long wire antennas is frankly mixed.

6. WC3T

Barry is "Mr. Resonant Antenna." Good guy.

KU3X likes this.
  7. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading this thread the last few days, I got the notion to get my 1899T out of the closet for a spin. I rigged up a mount to set it up on a table at the local park.

I was surprised! Ended up with 2 QSOs- VA and NC and a bunch of hits on Reverse Beacon Network. Not bad for SW Ohio!

Only thing was I couldnt get it tuned without an8 antenna analyzer. Never got below 3:1 by ear. I used a quarter wave counterpoise and couldnt get SWR below 4:1 without elevating the radial about a foot off the ground.

A fun 2 hours spent experimenting on 40 meters!

I'll try 30 meters next.

Have fun!
    Rick N8TGQ

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  8. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick,
    "Could not get a good match?" Can't understand why not? Did you use the measurements I provided on my web page?

http://www.ku3x.net/portable-qrp/mfj-1899t-whip

I just used mine the other day. Last month I picked up a tabletop tripod and it is now shown on my web page. All I did was use the measurements from the table, on my web page and hooked up my AA-230 Zoom. On 40 meters the SWR was 1.2 to 1 at 7055 khz.
    On the bottom of the web page you'll see the SWR on the 230 Zoom.

There is no reason you can't get a good SWR reading on that antenna. Works perfect for me.

Just DO NOT use the measurement MFJ provides.

Barry, KU3X/QRP

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  9. KC3JIN

Rick and Barry,

I must ask. Though I do not see it in the mfj manual, I swear that somewhere I saw the ground connections or counterpoise should actually be hooked up to the ground lug on the back of the radio. That means the radio body itself figures into the counterpoise.... Which would of course significantly alter length of wire that was needed, especially below a quarter wavelength.

have either of you ever tried it this way? It sounds like you both have it hooked up to an independent tripod or clamp.

Jordan

10. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't tried that, Jordan! I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I am finding that any slight changes I make can drastically change the readings I get. Im trying to find the shortest length counterpoise I can get away with. Maybe your idea will stabilize things a bit!
    I think everyones setup will be slightly different. Too many variables in conditions, radios. Even feedline length seems to affect readings. Still, its turned into a fun summer project!

N8TGQ Rick