MFJ 18xxT series

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC3JIN, May 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi friends.

Have been having a blast with a telescoping fishing pole and wire vertical on 20m, but it's a little unwieldy.. an actual telescoping vertical would be a darn sight faster, and I don't think I can go below 20m without getting a bigger mast (my current one is 20ft.)

So my question to anybody who knows.. do the monoband MFJ verticals demand the same poking and nudging to tune as the 1899T would? Do they perform better/differently? Heck, does anybody own the 1899T AND a monobander? Which do you prefer?

KA0USE likes this.
  2. K0MDW

K0MDW Ham Member QRZ Page

You will have more frequent contacts with your setup. However, my 1899t does ok when portability is essential! (Traveling) my mp-1 nets more contacts but this setup gets me on the air...

Attached Files:

KA0USE likes this.
  3. K0MDW

Tuning is effected by location every time. Correct counterpoises (x2 min.) are required...

4. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep :) the fishing pole is still 4-5ft long retracted. Hard to fly with!

Your setup is really cool. The temptation for me would be to hold the whole thing like a majorly overbuilt walkie talkie.. The previous owner of my 817 included a 90 degree BNC, saving me any potential embarrassment.

And I'm sure someone's already invented the multi-strand multi-band counterpoise, right? :cool:

5. K0MDW

I have speaker wire cut to 40 and 20 m. Connects to the antenna with power poles. This also works for 15 m. ;

6. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

7. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

And I'm sure someone's already invented the multi-strand multi-band counterpoise, right? :cool:[/QUOTE]

4 cond rotor wire final.jpg

May want to try an idea based on this for radial/c'poise.
    Mike N3PM

8. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

View attachment 559333

May want to try an idea based on this for radial/c'poise.
    Mike N3PM[/QUOTE]

..looks like the computer ribbon wire counterpoise.

9. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

..looks like the computer ribbon wire counterpoise.[/QUOTE]

Yes you could use that or flat rotor cable as well.
    Mike N3PM

10. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page