MFJ 1777 on 160m ? Or some other limited place antennas

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by OG6Z, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. OG6Z

OG6Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi i've thoughts about the top band 160m Does anyone have any reviews about how the MFJ 1777 performs on 160m?
    I live in a a limited place .. for 160m . I do have a megaloop from 80 to 6m band which i am very happy about .
    And i do not have a tower. Any other ideas if you have ? would also be nice to know Radials is also possible but quite a bit challenge.

2. K1VW

K1VW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had an MFJ-1777 set up in the usual 102’ doublet configuration. The directions clearly say “don’t use this on 160”, but yes I was a bad boy and tried it. Connected to the tuner at my rig I got a LOT of RF in the shack, it would cause my computer to spontaneously reboot and stuff like that. If I turned power down to 20 watts I could get away with it, but it was obvious “this is NOT a good idea” and I stopped. So NO, I don’t recommend it. I replaced the 1777 with Resonant fan dipoles.

The right way to use this on 160 is to use the whole antenna as the top half of a Marconi fed against a a radial system on ground. There is a long thread here somewhere started with a guy who wanted to alter his G5RV for 160. Lots lf good ideas there.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Limited place does not = 160!

W7UUU and NH7RO like this.
  4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

No truer words were ever uttered.

K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Even if you could get it to load and not mess stuff up in the house, it would be a lost cause. You wouldn't work anyone except a close neighbor or two - on their TV.

160 is a band that just doesn't take well to crazy compromise antennas.

Dave
    W7UUU

NH7RO and K0UO like this.
  6. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  7. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't be discouraged. I work 160 with a 70 ft doublet that's 35 ft agl. It's only good out to a few hundred miles but it's better than nothing. No RFI at legal limit but definitely some component heating.

8. WA6APN

WA6APN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah yes,compromise antenna's on 160.I live in an antenna restricted area.That said for 160 I'm using a modified version of "w6caw's 160m mobile whip,tuned with a SGC 237 tuner over 10 30'radials. So far best distance is Hilo,HI.Just worked xe2x in Hildago,Tx,that's about 1200mi as the crow fly's. Of course this is all cw,running no more than 100 watts. Nothing to write home about,but I am on 160.All parts have quick disconnect hardware,goes up quick,comes down quick.

73 Tom wa6apn

9. OG6Z

OG6Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok thanks om's . The mfj 1777 sucks on 160m just as i thought it would. So well im going for vertical then perhaps test the 40ft spiderbeam as beginning of vertical line and shoot up the other end of the wire over a tree . That gives me a total vertical height of 70 ft or more.

10. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you replaced that doublet with one made from heavy gauge wire and built a heavy duty balanced tuner you could make it play better.

Short antennas have a low impedance. Everything involved has to carry a lot of current without converting your signal to heat. Store bought stuff won't work.

The vertical is probably a better idea.

NH7RO likes this.