MFJ 1622 Air wound Loading Coil Antenna.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by VU2CMR, Jun 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. VU2CMR

VU2CMR Ham Member QRZ Page

I need some one's help in learning about how to tune VHF 144 Mhz, 2M Band in MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna.

The Specs say that the antenna is capable of operating from 40 Meters to 6 Meters. I am successful in all except 2M VHF Band. Appreciate your help. I sent a Tweeted MFJ for the help, however no response. Thanks. 73

Mouli, VU2CMR
    Chennai, INDIA

2. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

That antenna is simply not designed to operate on 2metres. If you hack it to make it work there, it will stop working on all the other bands...

If you are using it as an HF antenna, then leave it alone, and build a simple "coat-hanger-ground-plane" antenna to work 2metres.

AK5B likes this.
  3. VU2CMR

VU2CMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Dear OM WA7ARK. Thanks for your response. Shall take your advice. 73

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well the advertisement lists that antenna as operating 40 through 2 Meters and there is a configuration in the manual for 2 Meters. But the configuration for 2 Meters is the same as 6 Meters. Other information in the manual suggest that you might want to try shortening the counterpoise a bit and make sure the whip is retracted completely. Of course, the inductor should be completely bypassed. Keep the bypass wire very short.

Another possible option, for getting 2 Meters on that antenna, is the addition of a MFJ-921 tuner. I have old one myself, although I not using it. But that may be enough to keep your radio happy.

5. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ sells a dual band vertical that is advertised as 5/8 wave 2m and 1/4 wave on 6m. I wonder if they are suggesting the same thing with this?

I also can't help but notice that the chart says to use a 5 foot counterpoise and then the text instructions say LESS than 5 feet. I would suggest shortening the counterpoise wire a little bit at a time and see if that helps.

"Operation on the 6 and 2 meter bands requires that the top section of the whip be retracted completely. This may vary with some installations. The counterpoise length should be less than 5 feet"