ad: UR5CDX-1

MFJ-1234 - RigPi Station Server Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Dec 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The MFJ-1234 is a station server that include the RigPi software package. This allows you to remotely control your amateur radio station via any web browser on any platform (iPhone IOS, Android, PC, etc.). You can also use it as a station computer to make digital modes like the FT8 or even for logging your QSOs. This is base on a Raspberry Pi 3, to which they incorporated an audio card and an electronic keyer. You can therefore interface virtually any HF radio.

For more information please visit all the 3 sites below:
    https://rigpi.net/
    https://groups.io/g/RigPi

73 Pascal VA2PV

MFJ-1234_EN_HD.jpg

N1LOU and IZ3QVB like this.
  2. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

plug it in to rig, and GO ?
    Or is there 4 days worth of downloads, drivers, cable issues, more downloaded drivers, calls to MFJ, 13 hours of scanning forum posts while waiting for MFJ tech support to email you back with correct driver for YOUR modern, common mass market YaesIcoWood ?

KB1YXD, N0YPD and KK3Q like this.
  3. KI4QVB

KI4QVB Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe it is, an adventure?

4. N1AH

N1AH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Easy setup if you have some brain cells. If you can get a ham license, you can use this device. I love it.

K6RWM likes this.
  5. VE2BJG

VE2BJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Superbe démo

Michel VE2BJG

VA2PV likes this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Do it yourself rather than easy mode. Not a thing MFJ or their affiliates sells that I would buy.

KK3Q and N8DAH like this.
  7. K8MHW

K8MHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Pascal,

Nice review!
    I had a similar 1 hour experience getting the RigPi up and running.
    My first exposure to your channel was when I was searching for remote operation options a year ago.
    Your Technician and DXer video came up in the search and I viewed it. It is the ONLY Ham video that my wife would sit through and we both loved it.
    She is Canadian by birth and said "no surprise, that is how Canadians treat each other".

73 - Mark - K8MHW

VA2PV likes this.
  8. W9HBH

W9HBH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had my RigPi for about 4 months works ok around the house but my internet provider, the only one in may area does not allow port forwarding.
    So I can not used VNC or any program that needs two way remote control. So check out you provider before you get one if you want to run remote

9. KL7WG

KL7WG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought one. Tried to make it work on my FTDX101MP. Gave up and took it back to dealer. Ill wait for it to become more user friendly.

10. W1MDM

W1MDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

open source thats being sold.

E72U likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you ASKING or TELLING?

I am interested in this handy package. What problems did you have installing it, if any?

12. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Port forwarding is a feature of your internet router, not you provider.

13. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting comments. Over the years as I have used PSK31, FT-8, and DMR radio digital modes, I have expected a learning curve associated with the new technology. I never expect complete plugnplay, and I take time to get some minimal understanding of how things work. When i got my IC-7300, I was elated to find that it had a built-in USB system that handled PTT and audio, and had it running with WSJT-X in less than an hour (mostly getting settings correct). Yet, I still see people on the Facebook group asking if they need an external soundcard to run digital modes, and this radio has been out for several years! I read about people having a variety of issues with different radios and software packages that I have never had, and I wonder how much of their problem is self-generated? Same with computers - I have been running W10 for years now with almost zero issues, yet constantly read about people having all kinds of problems. Maybe I'm just lucky? The MFJ piece is pretty much out of my budget, but looking at the documentation, I think a homebrew version could be built for about 1/2 the cost, especially if you don't need the CW keyer. The codec chip on the audio board is around $3.00 (!) in single piece quantities.
    Our modern technology is pretty amazing, and too many have this, "If I can't figure it out in 5 minutes, it's a piece of junk and I'll never make an effort to get to to work again, harumph, harumph, harumph,!" Technology application in communication is always one of the main reasons for ham radio, and if all we want to do is check into the 80 meter net on Saturday mornings, then fine - but don't trash a piece of gear because you are having problems with it. There are many more who are using it without issues, so you might want to step back and see if you are part of the problem.
    OK, semi-rant over, I hope all have a blessed and joyful Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate this time of year)!

K9MRD likes this.
  14. KN4AUU

KN4AUU Ham Member QRZ Page

KJ7WT -- Spot On!!

PA0MHS -- You are correct, however not all providers give you access to all parts of the MODEM config.

15. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some ISP's block ports.

Mine does and it sucks. :mad:

I have to use a proxy server.