Method to pay club dues electronically help

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WD4INX, Oct 18, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD4INX

WD4INX Ham Member QRZ Page

OMs, YLs, XYLs, and all in between,

I have a few questions regarding collecting dues for our ham radio club. We would like to add a ‘pay now’ feature to our website so members can pay their dues electronically rather than come into a meeting or mail in a check. Which electronic fund transfer method do you prefer to use in this instance? We would like to use a method that is convenient to the member and not charge them an exorbitant amount just for the convenience of using electronic funds. I have looked into using a business account but a tax id number is required to get such an account, something the club does not have. Please let me know your preference.
    TNX,
    Jim
    WD4INX

2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

As you've discovered, an account with a bank, or probably with PayPal or Square or a similar service, will require the organization to have a tax ID number. It's not impossible to obtain one, and even an unincorporated association should be able to get one without too much difficulty.

But the easiest solution, if it's a very small club, is just to have the treasurer use his or her personal PayPal or Square account. It's really the same as someone paying their dues in cash. They hand the cash to the treasurer, and he or she is trusted to keep it with the club funds and not just pocket it.

Now, if it's a club with thousands of dollars in dues coming in, one complication is that the money coming in looks like it belongs to that individual, and the IRS might wonder why he or she is not paying taxes on that money. But if it's a few hundred or even a couple thousand dollars, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

N6HCM likes this.
  3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

W4NNF and N8YQM like this.
  4. N8YQM

N8YQM Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife does tutoring from home, people pay her using Zelle.

W4NNF likes this.
  5. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Two bits about zelle:

- it is scam-prone (see this for the lstest: https://abc7news.com/7-on-your-side-7oys-michael-finney-bank-of-america/11069122/)
    - not every bank and credit union offers it (its not like PayPal or Venmo; these work with all US banks and credit unions)

PayPal and Square are probably the best contemporary options at the moment. PayPal requires too many hooks into your banking, though, while Square makes transactions look like any other online purchase.

WF7A and (deleted member) like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A number is easy enough to get. Why not just get one ?

Paypal lets you make a click button that users do not need a PP account to pay. VISA or whatever can be used to pay. Many Donate Buttons use that.

What ever happened to paying dues at the club meeting ?

7. K4NWD

K4NWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

COVID-19 and variants. Our club was shut out of our meeting place (County EMC building) for a year, started meeting there again, then the Delta variant showed up and shut us down again. At least I got paid up during the couple times we met.

KU4X likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As NWD says, "covid 19." But it's not just that. Some don't get to attend every meeting due to other commitments and would still like to keep their dues current and support their club. Others are used to paying bills online and much prefer that to writing a check and handing it over in person or sending it to a PO Box. Simple, huh? :)

KU4X likes this.
  9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget the ole check in the mail trick.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

All of the clubs that I have been a member in was yearly dues. (Not to include the strip clubs.):oops:

Once a year should be easy to do just sending a check in the mail. You can deposit it, And even send it using your cell phone.