Messenger 350 amp

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7ZAR, Oct 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KB7ZAR

KB7ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey everyone what’s your opinion on this amp. Is it good to use on 20-40 meters or is it garbage good only for Cb type use?

Attached Files:

2. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Although I have not seen this operate with the aid of tools like a spectrum analyzer, I would bet that it says 80-15 because when you transmit, you're on 80 through 15.

I would use it to learn about solid state amps, but only with the assistance of a dummy load.

KB7ZAR likes this.
  3. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a CB amp. Schematic is here. With some work in the bias section and an external low pass filter it would probably be ok for 10m, maybe 12m. My guess is that the input tune wouldn't be any good much below that unless you rework it a little.

It's good for maybe 150w or so clean. NCR is right, good project amp to play with and see how they work, maybe boost up a QRP rig to 100w or so, that's about it.

4. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a low quality 11 meter amplifier, I would not use it on any amateur frequencies..

Russ

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's cute, and funny!

Yes, if it doesn't have a bandswitch or some form of automatic band sensing, it is extremely unlikely to meet Part 97 requirements for harmonics since any filtering it has will be a low-pass filter with a cutoff above 30 MHz; so harmonics from 80, 40, 30, 20 and possibly 17 meters will just flow right through. It may meet spectral purity requirements on 10, 12 and 15 meters. Maybe.

I wouldn't use it.

WA9SVD and K4AGO like this.
  6. KB7ZAR

Alright guys thanks.

73’s Ed

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

At least not without proper bias and additional (external) filtering. IMHO, probably NOT worth the time and/or effort.:(:rolleyes:

KB7ZAR likes this.
  8. KB7ZAR

I took some pictures of the inside what you think.

Attached Files:

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I see the OP created a duplicate thread about this amplifier here: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,126723.0.html.

The root directory (http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/messenger/class_ab_model_350/) has this note posted:
    FWIW, the schematic shows there definitely isn't ANY harmonic filtering.

See my reply to your question about posting images... in your duplicate thread.

10. KB7ZAR

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019