MESH NETWORK HAMNET

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KD4YSH, Nov 22, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

"Yet another example of nay saying flame wars on QRZ, I agree with George Thomas W5JDX you do need asbestos underwear to post anything on here."

I guess some folks just like to Fart around the house and Light them.

You need some kind of underwear.

Have Fun Everyone.

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I live in a small town called Kanab, Utah. We have 1 fiberoptic line coming into town. 2 times in the past year, that line has gone down. THat leaves us with no phones (Hospital remote transmitter is on the phone line), no internet, no cell service. The local WIFI internet provider is phasing out all of their 2.4 Ghz equipment to go to 5 Ghz. We are looking to connect the hospital, it's remote transmitter, fire, police, hams & possibly other entities.
    Almost every forum post I see ends up like this foolish flame war.

I am looking for pertinent links for setting this up & also wondering if I have my Android & can pick up the signal, can it be used similar to a VOIP phone? Also, if this can be done, can say a police officer (Non ham) communicate over the network (Non life or property)? What other applications can be used?

We are thinking a R-Pi as a file server.

THank you,
    Ed Grafton

3. KA9JLM

The Android should let you share as a tethered USB modem or Hot spot.

Not sure what ports you could use, You may need to use a VPN tunnel for VOIP.

Have Fun

4. AA7QQ

I was thinking of using just the Android as the wifi & VOIP all in one unit. I'll be googling away the day...

Thank you,
    Ed Grafton
    KG7SWP

5. KA9JLM

If you want to get serious check out the Dual Band AC Asus Router. They may be about $150 USD.

It has dual band 2.4 and 5 gig radios.

It can support the Android as a share device on its USB2 port, and also has a USB3 for Network storage.

Also has a built in FTP server and VPN. No computer needed.

I have not Hacked mine, It works for me out of the box, with a bunch of tweaks, But they are hackable, If needed.

Have Fun.

6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Ed -

Sounds like they need to bring in another fiber line on a different path for diversity/redundancy, or a uW link. While it's an amicable effort to solve this problem on your part, this sounds like a problem the town/county needs to solve. In fact, it's their responsibility to have a plan in place for these situations - and ham radio can help - but better not be the "plan" in case of failure.

Steve
    KV6O

7. AA7QQ

KA9JLM, thank you. I will look into that.
    They have been trying yo negotiate with the local tribe to run the fiber optic to St. George, but are having no luck. We should be getting all of the commercial 2.4 Ghz gear to adapt to this for free & want to use it for something useful & are just trying to figure out the best way to get the most usage out of it. The old microwave system is completely down, I think. When our 1 fiber gets damaged, we have nothing at all.
    We are doing this to help. We are also doing this for fun & experimentation.

Thank you,
    Ed Grafton
    KG7SWP

8. KA9JLM

Maybe smoking the Peace Pipe would help. :eek:

9. AA7QQ

If that would be a help, I'd make the trip to Colorado. Funny thing is that they would get fiber optic, too..... They just want too much for the rights to go through their land. I am not sure of the details, but it has been ongoing for quite some time.

Ed