MESH NETWORK HAMNET

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KD4YSH, Nov 22, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

i dont mean to put to fine a point on it but: USE THE RADIOS

2. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, USE THE RADIOS... I get you. Ad-hoc wireless (Or, any wireless 802.11 for that matter) requires you to USE THE RADIOS...

Do you think radios must have a pair of knobs or something?

3. KK4YWN

Layering technology to accomplish a task that was easily accomplished without layers of technology is a wasteful endeavor. You're using more power and spectrum than needed to complete a circuit.

It's not good engineering. It really should be frowned upon.

4. KC2UGV

Calling CQ is a wasteful endeavor, and easily accomplished without using the spectrum. So, it should be frowned upon.

AM should be frowned upon. It used more power and spectrum than needed to complete a circuit.

We get it: You don't like a specific mode, and would like to be appointed the Sole Determiner Of Modes Used in the Amateur Radio Hobby.

5. KK4YWN

Young man:

There's nothing stopping you from building a good mesh except ham radio. As soon as you seperate the two hobbies you'll have something worthwhile.

Pinning a label on me is a cheap move. Maybe don't do that again.

6. KC2UGV

Actually, one can build a very fine mesh network using amateur bands, and amateur privileges, to be used for amateur radio operators.

Once you realize people do in this hobby various things they enjoy, and within the constraints of their license, you'll maybe understand what ham radio is.

You labeled yourself, sir. Don't like the label, stop playing the part.

7. KK4YWN

i challenge you to do something worthwhile with a amateur-constrained mesh network that can't be done better with consumer equipment.

8. KB3VWG

KB3VWG Ham Member QRZ Page

When you say "consumer equipment," do you mean a TNC or carrier-grade 802.11 equipment...?
    Because most Mesh equipment is modified consumer-grade stuff.

You mean worthwhile things like:

- using more than 1 watt of power
    - using a 2.4GHz amplifier
    - changing out or modifying the stock antenna(s)
    - protection from harmful interference by Part 15 devices
    - avoid noise by using 2.4GHz 802.11b/g channels -1 and 0 (which are completely in the Amateur bands)

I understand the operative word was "better;" but "legal" and "within reasonable price range" also fit for me.

A lot of folk are focusing on just one single thing that can be done once a mesh network is up, the fact is, once a geographic area has a robust Ham Mesh, it's a stand-alone, self-healing, IP-based network, totally independent of: cellular, cable and POTS broadband services. And in most cases, independent of the power grid and utility infrastructure; meaning data can still be passed in many scenarios when consumer networks may be offline or unavailable.

9. KC2UGV

Using 2.4GHz to build 70Km wireless data links?

10. KK4YWN

again:
    i challenge you to do something worthwhile with a amateur-constrained mesh network that can't be done better with consumer equipment.

point-to-point links are very handy for linking. no need to validate their use.