Memorable QSOs

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Oct 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one of those QRP ARCI certificates for working K5LZO/KP5 on 160 CW.
    Desecheo Island hasn't been on the air in ten years!

WW2PT likes this.
  2. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Years ago when I was finishing up the restoration of a Hallicrafters SR-150, I had just put it on an antenna and heard an op asking if the freq was in use. Nobody answered his several calls so I jumped in with my call. It turned out that he was one of just a handful of ops on St. Helena Island located off the Angolan coast of Western Africa and it quickly became apparent that I had stumbled onto a great DX catch.

Regardless, he was interested in hearing the entire SR-150 restoration story and all the while I had that uneasy "being watched" feeling. The QSO went on for a solid 15 minutes more until I really felt I should sign. Nearly immediately after that came an epic pileup.

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a qso many years ago with Lou Varney when he was operating portable in Tehran about antenna design before I knew who he was.

4. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

My first contact with WA6PVA (now NK7U) who I came to know as Joe Rudi who at the time was a MLB Player for the Angels. A 3 time World Series Winner with the Oakland A's, an All Star, and a Golden Glove winner. Turns out we were practically neighbors, and had kids the same age. From that QSO has come a 40 + year friendship and for years we were next door neighbors in Oregon. Many fond memories of working contests from his (no longer) mega station in Eastern Oregon. There have been many other memorable Q's but none resulting in the sort of personal relationship and friendship as the one with Joe and his family.

WW2PT likes this.
  5. KG5UN

KG5UN Ham Member QRZ Page

My first contact as a new ham with no gear at home. Used my An/GRC-106 HF set in my AN/GRC-122A radio teletype shelter. I was stationed at Ft Sill, Oklahoma at the time. Made a contact with a ham in Connecticut on 15 meter CW using a J-38 strapped to my leg.
    grc-142-rtty-shelter-complete-working_1_1cfc08518d1b41bf307cf4015db49c39.jpg

Also working Art Bell, W6OBB a few months before he passed on 6 meter SSB.

WW2PT and K3YGX like this.
  6. K3YGX

K3YGX Ham Member QRZ Page

More memorable QSOs than I can count, but as a 16 year old novice, 15 meter DX was lots of fun.