Memorable QSOs

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Oct 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Busting a DX pileup is definitely an art form. :) When the DX station signs with someone else or calls QRZ, then the birds start chirping... cacophony! I found that by pausing a bit and getting my callsign in the clear (following all the chirping) I would often score. Didn't always work, but very often did. Patience, grasshopper, patience. :D

But, I too have wasted hours trying to contact one of those rare ones. Hit or miss for sure at times.

WW2PT likes this.
  2. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed. In the case of FT5ZM, I had just sat down at the rig and tuned him in. I engaged split, set my xmit freq up 1 kHz, and was about to start hunting to find out where he was listening and which direction he was moving, when he signed QRZ. I sent my call for the hell of it, never expecting that he’d hear it.

I was wrong. :)

That said...the Q’s I made with them on other bands were not nearly as easy! Lol!

3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes, it’s just in the timing.

A while back, I was trying to work one of the Clipperton DXpeditions on 40 Phone, with no success. But I noticed their pattern... they’d work the North American stations split for about 20 minutes, then work the rest of the world direct for about 10. So I waited out the 10 minutes, and as soon as they announced they were back to working NA split, I called... and got them first call! Someone else did the same thing after I did, and then (after about 30 - 45 seconds) the pileup returned.

Best thing about that was getting a shout on the local DX club’s repeater from (then) KC3GO congratulating me... followed by reprimand to both of us from one of the club officers, reminding us that the DX club’s repeater was supposed to be for SPOTTING, not CONVERSING. (Turned out he was in that pileup with a 6 element beam an a 2 KW linear, and couldn’t believe my measly 100 W to a vertical beat him out!)

WZ7U and WW2PT like this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Two memorable QSOs of mine became magazine articles. See QST for June, 1994, page 55, and Electric Radio for July, 1995.

N2SR, WW2PT and KA2CZU like this.
  5. VE3CEN

VE3CEN Ham Member QRZ Page

My most memorable QSO was when I finished building my first magnetic loop antenna, hopped on 20m OLIVIA, and saw JA1RZD on my screen. We managed a brief contact on my 100W until the path closed. He never confirmed me, but I know it happened and that's enough for me.

Next best was the first time I hit Australia on CW with my 100W into an end-fed. Nothing beats that rush! Nothing! My wife even pretended she found it interesting.

WW2PT likes this.
  6. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing except doing it with 5 watts. :)

7. VE3CEN

VE3CEN Ham Member QRZ Page

You have worked Australia from the East Coast of NA with 5 watts on CW?
    If so, hats off to you! I don't think that I would ever be capable of that.

8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That might be the case now with low solar activity but during peak solar conditions, it would be (and was) easy with a decent antenna height.

9. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

This is kinda unique. As a Novice, I used to hang out on the 15 meter Novice CW band. Propagation was good, and you could cover a lot of distance in the evening. I worked VE5RI in Saskatchewan, Canada, which itself was decent enough DX at the time. The really fun part was when he switched to SSB, which Canadians could do on that particular frequency. As a CW-only Novice. it was particularly thrilling to work a station that could come back to me on voice. Of course, later on in life, you take voice communication for granted, but as a 13 year old Novice, that presented a particular thrill! I'll always remember that one.

I'll also include working my idol, Jack Troster W6ISQ, in the ARRL Sweepstakes. I had read MANY of his humorous articles in my vintage QST collection. Was great to be able to say hi personally. (I sent him a QSL with a note about how much I loved his articles, and he sent me back a handwritten letter thanking me for remembering all of that. Framed the letter, where it hangs on my shack wall. Yeah, I'm a big ISQ fan.)

W4ZD and W4NNF like this.
  10. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of memorable QSOs during my 50 years:
    --I was 16 when Barry Goldwater, operating from Washington, DC, answered my CQ on 40m SSB. It was October 1970.
    --A year later, I called CQ on 20 meter SSB and 9N1MM, Father Moran, answered me from Katmandu.
    --Worked W5UN and N1BUG on 2 meter EME in the 1990s. CW back then. JT65 hadn't come along yet.
    --Broke a 20 meter CW pile-up for a station in S79. One call. BTW, I was running just 5 watts. Nearly fell out of my chair.
    --First time I worked VK long path on 75m SSB. I listened for at least 2 months every day before I could hear him well enough for a QSO.
    --Hearing my callsign bouncing off the moon from HB9CRQ while running a 2 meter EME sked. Made the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up!
    --Worked the space shuttle a couple times on 2 meter FM.
    --For months, I listened as West Coast stations worked Pierre, ZS8M, on Marion Island, via the gray line on 40m. Not a peep here. Finally, 3 months later -- after the gray line had changed to be more favorable for me -- I nailed him twice within a few minutes. On 40 and 20m. Whew.

There have been others but those are among the better ones that I recall.
    73, Dave, N4KZ