Memorable QSOs

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Oct 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I was thinking about this the other day, thought it might be a good thread topic. What were your most memorable and thrilling QSOs?

For me, I would have to go back to 1966, as a novice, running a bare-bones station. I lived in central Florida then. One night on 40m CW I managed to QSO with another novice located in Hawaii. It was tough copy for both of us, but we managed to exchange postal addresses and send each other QSL cards. This was the middle of the night, and I had to go to school in the morning. I stumbled into the kitchen for breakfast in the morning and exclaimed to my Dad, "Dad, I contacted Hawaii last night." He gave me a big smile.

I don't recollect the great circle distance from central Florida to Hawaii, but to a young boy it seemed half way around the world. Cool! :)

N0VFJ and W1TRY like this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Space Station, Japanese camp at Antartica, The Royal Navy HQ, and others...

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Talking to a friend in Botswana who had to leave abruptly to chase an elephant away from using his tower as a scratching post. Reading the newspaper (sports section) to Gus Browning while he was on Bouvet. Meeting notables on the air like 9N1MM, VR6 TC, JY1, etc... it’s an interesting hobby.

4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Look up "antipodes" to find the location on the other side of the world from you. I'm in the Indian ocean between Australia and India. When I talk to India, that's the opposite side of the globe pretty much. Australia is pretty close.

Your QSO was over 4580 miles. Nice.

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There have been many, many memorable QSOs. Maybe that's the main reason I've stuck with radio for so long. THE most memorable? As for most ops, that first, shaky CW QSO on the 80-meter Novice band in the summer of '69. I was as nervous as a cat, and could hardly copy my own call. I stuck with it long enough to exchange name and QTH and report, sent "73," hit the Big Switch and ran out of the shack (my room) like a frightened bunny. :D

W4ZD likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

1. First ever QSO as a Novice in March 1974: Nick WA7IVO - good friend to this day - 33 minute CW QSO!! (still have the QSL)
    2. First time I worked Hawaii as a 14-year old Novice on CW - KH6ISA
    3. The first time I worked Antarctica on CW: R1ANC
    4. The time I had a 30-minute SSB QSO with Art Bell: W6OBB (SK) Alas, he died not long after so no QSL card. May he Rest in Peace

There are probably a few others but that's my "short list"

Dave
    W7UUU

NL7W, N2EY and W4NNF like this.
  7. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked 40 meter CW with W1YL a couple weeks ago...
    she was licensed in 1946.
    Beautiful fist.

NL7W likes this.
  8. W4ZD

I guess I should have included working KC4AAA back around 1990 or so, from northern Colorado. That was surely a thrill. :)

9. W4ZD

Hah! That sounds about right. With a single tube homebrewed transmitter running about 20 watts plate input... what, maybe 12 watts to the antenna?:)

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

DX-20 Heathkit. A more fancy rig.