Mega Tree Construction, Part 4

Discussion in 'Pixel Nights or Christmas Lights' started by AA7BQ, Mar 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

The big day is almost here. I've got the parts made and have found a spot in the backyard for testing.

As my luck had it, I was working alone this day and I erected the entire structure by myself. I did not know for sure if it was possible but I was pleased to find out that it actually stood on its own on the interior base while I attached the guy wires.

IMG_8722.jpeg

Finally, standing tall and proud. I don't know why it appears to be leaning in the photo. It doesn't.
    Note that bungee cords are used to attach the light strands to the base.

IMG_8727.jpeg

I made a similar mounting system for the power supply and controller boxes

IMG_8735.jpeg

One funny thing was the Anderson PowerPole connector block shown in this picture. It had 8 contacts and they weren't able to support the weight of the cables behind them. They were always loose and falling out. Note that this connection of 8 wires was providing 120A at 12V to the box.

I went on Amazon and looked for a set of good, sturdy, waterproof connectors that could pass the 120 amps and not cost a fortune. The search led me to the 7-pin 5th wheel trailer connector. These things are strong, beefy, waterproof, and cheap. Ding ding ding!

IMG_8746.jpeg

So that's how my mega tree was built. I'll bet you're wondering what it looks like when I turn it on...

Stay tuned for the next in the series!

73 -fred

K0UO likes this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why do I suspect there is a discone in your future ?

Where did you get such beefy light strands, I assume they are LED ?