Mega Tree Construction, Part 2

Discussion in 'Pixel Nights or Christmas Lights' started by AA7BQ, Mar 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

Okay, we've gathered and made a bunch of parts, and as we look at them we eye our scrap bin because we know that we're going to need something from it. We're not sure exactly what, but it is reassuring to know that I have a big pile of scrap to choose from so we're ready to start building!

So, I got this cheap boat winch off of Amazon for less than $30. I made a mounting plate and blocks and held it all together with U-bolt clamps. Note the thickness of the pipe - 1/8"
    IMG_8665.jpeg

So, as they say in the military, "Let's run this thing up the flagpole and see who salutes it..."
    So, we put it up for a test hoist. The stand is one which I keep around my shop and is not part of the tree. The mast rises to about 20 feet in the air and the mast is in two pieces that are joined by a solid plug.

IMG_8666.jpeg

After being satisfied with the pully system, we mounted the J-hooks on the plate. 32 of them. The large eye bolt in the center was eventually replaced by something better.

IMG_8671.jpeg

Next, we needed a leg(s) to stand on, so we built this tilt-up base using mixed materials. From the junkpile, we used a couple of pieces of Unistrut, a few bolts, and some steel and aluminum. One design goal was that the apparatus might be erected by just one person. Amazingly, it works!

IMG_8679.jpeg

Remember that big round base in the first photo? We call it the trampoline stand but it's really just two circles joined together. I needed a 10-foot diameter circle and I so I resorted to slogging down to Harbor Freight where I bought their Tubing Bender and again, more 3/4" tubing. I had never bent tubing before and so this was too a learning experience, but with some patience and only 1 extra stick of tubing, I learned :)

IMG_8680.jpeg

Okay, full disclosure. I cheated on the attachment parts here and bought them from Home Depot. Structural Pipe they call it, and it's pretty cool stuff. I had to make my own plug connectors for the tubing (x8) but the vertical parts and T-connectors were off the shelf.

IMG_8682.jpeg

In the next part, we'll move on to installing the LEDs

-fred