Media determines mode activity?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by WD0BCT, Sep 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having recently joined the digital modes after picking up a Signalink and fldigi I've noticed an interesting phenomenon. When a particular mode gets discussed on this forum activity can pick up quite a bit as fellow zeddites play with it. When I first started operating PSK-31 before last Christmas activity was pretty sparse. As digital operating got talked up here in the forum folks started picking up Signalinks (you could see it in the "help" questions for set up! January/February/March saw a bunch of PSK-31 activity...then bingo bango..the Zed talked up FT-4 and PSK-31 died almost overnight and the FT-* modes bloomed.

I've been watching the PSK-31 bandwidth for a couple of months with zilch activity. Suddenly today PSK-31 was hot again. That's to be expected somewhat, however, I've noticed a strong interconnection between forum activity and digital mode activity!

2. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe the World Wide Digi DX Contest over this past weekend was a bigger factor.

WD0BCT and W7UUU like this.
  3. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe also related to the hurricane? You can't exactly ask a guy about local conditions on FT-8. :)

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I disagree. I believe your observations are coincidental. PSK has been pretty dead since JT65 and FT8 have come on the scene. Signal link sales have been huge for years.

Suggested experiment: Start a topic on HF Packet, 300 baud. I don't think you will see any spike in activity.

K3XR likes this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If PSK was dead I must have been hallucinating this past February and March. I guess I’ll have to throw out my log book. The activity did disappear totally since then until very recently. I think it’s a question of what the few remaining operating Hams decide to do on any particular day!