ad: w5yi

Me

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by KA4KOE, Mar 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

They give him a radioactive substance and then any tumors in his thyroid absorb it and starts emitting gamma rays. Basically, the idea is this radioactive substance reveals and lights up the tumor where they can see everything in clearer detail on a special camera that is designed to see gamma rays.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If a new one looks the same as the last one, is that a gamma match?

3. KC8VWM

Gamma is a Euler's constant.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

For a gamma scan, you go on an iodine free diet for at least two weeks. Then you are given a small tracer dose (diagnostic), in my case 4.5 millcuries of I-131. Then it is allowed to cook for a couple of days and you are then scanned. Any thyroid cells that are left will light up a gamma scan, which they do from your hips to your head, in case of any spread.

The really cruel part of this is I had my gamma scan on a Friday and started hurting that afternoon. Started feeling better somewhat on Sunday, but still ached on my right side. Went to the Doctor on Monday morning instead of work. Was admitted to hospital at 1:00 PM Monday. I was on the table cracking bad jokes at 1:08 AM Tuesday until the sweet lady said "hold this mask for me" and they shut me up with propofol.

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. KC8VWM

Well I guess that's still safer than eating Tide Pods right?

...It's just going to take some time Philip. :)

So listen to your Nurse and remember my friend, i'm pulling for you and I know you're going to win the battle to destroy this archenemy nemesis once and for all...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  6. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI PHILIP,
    THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS
    WITH YOUR QRZ FRIENDS.

PLEASE DON'T GET DISCOURAGED
    AND HANG IN THERE.

YOUR QRZ FRIENDS WILL BE PRAYING
    FOR A SPEEDY RECOVERY.

TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF

73 - K1LKP

7. KA4KOE

Back at work. One way to look at it is that I have two less things in my body now to break......thyroid and appendix. I have Dr. Sheri K4SMN riding herd on me so I am in good hands.

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

You are in the same situation as are a number of people who have been diagnosed with the scary "C" and have survived to go on to live productive lives.

Just remember, you are not the only one and you are in a large company of survivors.

Pheel

9. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I don't know you, but I'm still delighted to hear a story with a happy outcome.

I guess I've been lucky. Nothing serious going on here, and I'm 85.

KA4KOE likes this.
  10. KA4KOE

I am actually quite likeable, depending on who (or whom?) you ask. I have a quirkly, extremely dry sense of humor and look out for my friends. I have had all my shots, too!