Me and my FT8 experience - so far :-)

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by OE4KSF, Aug 8, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OE4KSF

OE4KSF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I’m a newcomer out here - only had my licence for a few years

In the beginning it was always only SSB for me, but my friends that know that I’m working with computers (for living) was always asking if I had tried any digital modes

I then started with wspr - build ( is what I really like to do - build things) some RX/TX units for testing out the wspr.
    Indeed interesting to see how far you could get - using 10/100mW :)

So - then got me testing the FT8 - did not really see me doing only PC -> PC communication , but would like to test it out.

And now have more than 5.000 entries in my FT8 log, and 156 countries logged - and this in only 5 months :)

Finding me now looking for new countries - even more than I do on SSB

Will I stop using SSB - no - not at all - I still like to “talk” to someone out there, but I have to say that the FT8 is addicting :)

Have even started to learn me CW :) Slow learner, but getting there

So for all of you that are thinking about trying digital modes - do it - test it out - its different , but also fun

Yes it might be a bit problematic to get everything up and running, but take that as part of the fun - to make things work :)

And with the internet handy - plenty of places to get help - and remember the only dumb question is the one you did not make

KT5WB likes this.
  2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for sharing that. You are doing very well and better than I am on FT8. I have been licensed since 1963 and prefer CW, but have made 6000+ contacts on FT8 in three years. Only 143 countries on FT8, but 301 overall. I get much more excited over a new CW country than on FT8, but I still enjoy the quick FT8 exchange.

I enjoyed my visit to Innsbruck in 2010 and am happy to have made 251 contacts with Austria. I hope to work you one of these days.

3. OE4KSF

Thank you Peter , yes hope to find you on the air on day :)
    So far 316 US County logged on FT8 , just now a new one on 15m :)

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Dr Knut; Don't think of yourself as a slow learner!
    Learning Morse takes time and effort but you'll find it to be well worth it when you have mastery.

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

5. OE4KSF

Thank you N8AFT, yes I know , my problem is to find time to have continuity to the learning ;-)
    I find about 25wpm to be best for my ears , slower I'm finding myself listen after dits and dots .
    But will be there one day :)

6. KG5WKO

KG5WKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I Was very into cw as ham back in 1960;s. Cw is like learning the piano-you have to practice constantly. Even after a decades of abscence, I am back to 16 wpm. You will get there and welcome to CW!
    I am one struggling with setting up rig and computer for ft8 psk31 because new digital technology above my experience curve.
    Good luck and around 14.070? if i am not forgetting I am on cw in early hours of day MST. hearme give me a call.