Mcmartin BA-2.5K for sale

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W2ZE, Aug 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W2ZE

W2ZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am selling my fathers McMartin BA-2.5K AM transmitter. My father is W2ZM and he converted this transmitter to 75 meters. It uses quantity 4 4-1000. Pair in the RF and pair in the modulator. I have pics for interested parties. This transmitter was running when my father stopped using it, but this thing needed a lot of TLC to get back running, so there were some modifications and rewiring done to it. It also comes with a Johnson Viking 2, and VFO, as the RF and audio driver (the mod xfmr in the V2 has a center tapped secondary). I do not have any schematics or manual for this, so be forewarned, this will be quite the project. I am asking 500 dollars, and please bring at least 3 people with you. I am able to help load, but this monster is heavy! Please inquire at my email address mike dot raide at gmail dot com.

WA3VJB likes this.
  2. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A location might be nice...

73DG

3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that Bob in Penn Yan? I used to work Bob on 160 m. He was on 1880 or 1885 as I recall, running a PDM rig. I think it was the Continental power pebble, the pair of 3-500s with a third 3-500 as a switch. I hope he is okay.

Rob

4. W2ZE

W2ZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it is. He is doing ok, but with his health and declining interest, he has decided to sell most of all our gear. I get to keep what I want, but everything is going. We are starting to get rid of all of the big stuff.

5. W2ZE

W2ZE Ham Member QRZ Page

This my father W2ZM, he is located in Penn Yan, NY. A few mouse clicks on this site would have shown that.;)

6. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm posting this on my facebook Amplitude Modulation Group (Classic).

7. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

It was not intuitively obvious whether the transmitter was in Maryland or New York. You did say you could help with loading, hence the confusion. Alas, too far away for me.

AC0OB likes this.
  8. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Mike, glad to see you on here with this, although I'm sorry that Bob is pulling back a little from his big presence on 75m from update NY.
    Two examples I can offer to someone considering this transmitter, if you need any convincing.
    Also some guidance: This transmitter is not for beginners, and it has an excellent grip on gravity, probably as heavy as the Raytheon RA-1000 discussed earlier on here. Probably a ton, easily.

Bob W2ZM and I were part of the inaugural Heavy Metal Rally about 20 years ago, developed and carried to air by the late broadcast engineer Bill Kleronomos, KD0HG in Colorado. Bill's vision was to have an evening HF radio event featuring the Tall Ships of AM across the country, a coast-t0-coast operating event, not for points and distance, but for the storytelling and to relish the sound of AM from "heavy" transmitters like retired broadcast rigs that had been returned to 160 & 75, specifically. The generous amount of iron in modulation transformers matched "heavy metal," in a novel tweak of the handle used for a type of music. The event was sponsored and showcased by Electric Radio magazine, which was in its heyday at the time under founder Barry Wiseman, N6CSW.

Bob had the McMartin on the air, and because of the exceptional turnout, decided to park on 3885Kc and set up a roundtable, funneling stations through who wished to work everyone who had gathered, and either joining the QSO or moving to other QSOs up and down the band where other AM stations were set up for the rally. He became the "anchor" station, and I stepped up as a supportive co-anchor, as we kept a list and facilitated AM contacts among the wide range of stations both "heavy" and tabletop who wanted to play.

Bob would spend about 15 hours on the air that night into the next morning. I spent about ten hours alongside him. And the massive signal and audio of the McMartin was the highlight of the Heavy Metal Rally, in my opinion. Bob has a way of being on the radio that's fascinating and compelling to listen to. He's got such a depth of experience in vintage radio, including his time with New York state's Antique Wireless Association, that he's a natural at helping others get their stations sorted out for satisfying AM activity.

For years around the Heavy Metal Rally, Bob also was primary anchor of the AWA's Sunday PM AM Net, a gathering on 3837Kc. Here too, the McMartin's presence, and Bob's personality, made for an AM radio event that people wanted to be part of.

This is the kind of transmitter that helps our part of the hobby contribute to enthusiastic, interested operators. It commands a frequency, establishing a QSO and allowing a conversation among those gathered, sort of like a cruise ship, where we all are along for a nice ride, regardless of any choppy seas off the sides of the ship.

Highly recommended.

WZ5Q likes this.
  9. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob was always a great guy to work or listen to, going way back.

10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob sounds like an antenna man. I've noticed that the stations with commanding signals, the tall ships, seem and seemed to lack large receiver and transmitter collections, their operators apparently content with equipment meeting operating needs, and preferring to put their energy into building superior antennas. Ashtabula Bill and Don K4KYV come to mind. Also Bill KD0HG on 160 m. and I am sure there are others. WA1HLR for example. I wonder what sort of antenna Bob had in Penn Yan.