MAZDA CX-5 RFI INQUIRY

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by NT0Y, Feb 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-BCInc
  1. NT0Y

NT0Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone heard/experienced any RFI problems with a NEW (2021) Mazda CX-5 mini SUV? Want to make sure it will be happy living here with my 1KW H.F. station.

2. WA3UCR

WA3UCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought a new 2020 CX-5 ( dealer was motivated to get the 2020 off the lot ) and if you figure out where to mount a HF antenna without drilling holes let me know. Lots of slightly curved surfaces along the hatch and not sure if a trunk lip mount would work or not. I have an old Hustler mobile mast and resonators, but will need a different mount if I decide to go HF mobile again.

I run a KW at home, never experienced any RFI to the Mazda or from it while parked or idling in the driveway.
    BTW, I really like the CX-5. Got a great deal and am very impressed with it so far. Just turned 650 miles on it yesterday, so time will tell - but so far I'm pleased.

K0UO likes this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Find out what the differences are in the 2020 and 2021. They've added a lot of "safety" crap to the higher-end versions of each model, and the RFI may be related to that -- lane assist, auto-braking, etc... Also, some of the LED lighting is modulated, which may generate RFI, as well. A cheap AM radio is your friend when finding these noise sources.

4. WA3UCR

WA3UCR Ham Member QRZ Page

All the safety stuff is standard on the 2020 - I doubt there is much difference for the 2021.
    I'll take my TinySA and do a little RF sniffing when I get a chance.

AG5DB likes this.
  5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

As a side note, I have noticed a lot of diesel pickups, and cars with LED headlights / tail lights, that manage to break the squelch on my 2m radio when they are within 15-20 feet of my car. Sometimes the noise is S5-S6 in strength.