Mayday! FT-818ND SSB Filter Problem

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by WB1CDG, Oct 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WB1CDG

WB1CDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't find an answer to this one online... I installed the SSB filter in the FT-818 (both brand new) and turned it on IAW the menu system, but whenever I use the SSB filter, the radio goes deaf. I turn the SSB filter off, and get great reception! With the filter on, I can slowly (agonizingly slowly) spin the dial across the 20M band and hear nothing, but when I turn the SSB filter off, the band comes to life with tons of signals! I landed a IL to WVA contact (700+ miles) at 5/9 and another from southern IL to Chicago (250+ miles) at 5/9 -- both using USB at 2.5w out, with a 47" vertical counterpoised with a tape measure strung out a dozen feet or so across my patio, and a Z-817 tuner. It worked like gangbusters... without the SSB filter. Then I flipped the SSB filter "on" again via the menu system, and again the radio went deaf again. What the heck is going on? Anybody got any ideas?
    Thanks,
    - WB1CDG

2. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Check the solder joints on the filter? (I can’t remember if the FT-817/818 has plug-in filters...)

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Haven't seen inside an 818, but is it possible the filter is plugged in one pin off, or installed backwards? If you switch the filter on, and hear nothing, the filter isn't passing a signal.

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does the radio require a setting to be changed in the Setup Menu for the filter?

5. WB1CDG

I double/triple checked the YF-122S filter installation (page 68 in the manual) and reviewed several online instructions (like this one, for the 817: http://web.bxhome.org/blog/ok4bx/2012/11/ft817-filter-installation) and still no luck. It's a plug-in filter with 3 pins on one end and 4 on the other, so there's no way to get it in offset or backwards. No soldering required. After physically installing it, I changed the menu setting #38 (OP FILTER) to "SSB" and it went immediately deaf. I switched menu #38 to "CW" and it received fine... just like it did with the setting #38 turned to "OFF." I thought maybe they sent me a CW filter not an SSB filter, so double-checked THAT, too... it's the YF-122S SSB filter unit, like it's supposed to be. No luck at all. I tried setting my "Active Filter" function by hitting F once and getting into the rotating the dial to Position 7, adn hit button C which is "NAR" and still no luck. I think I'm going bald from pulling my hair out!!! :-(

6. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be sure its label up, it can be installed label down and wont work..

FT817_filtinst_4.jpg

KB3FEI likes this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Send it bk for an exchange.

8. WB1CDG

I'll check it on Sunday to be sure it's label-up. Thanks for the tip!
    - Dave WB1CDG