Maybe the dumbest question on QRZ ever

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC2KQH, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6PME

K6PME Ham Member QRZ Page

ERV: I could probably use my future xyl since she only wiegh's about 95 lbs or so. But they say dynamite comes in small packages so I will have to think that through ~very~ carefully. [​IMG]

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QQL:

My wife weighed 89 pounds, fully clothed, soaking wet, when we got married! She is 5'1" tall. Her doctor said that they were going to throw a party when she "hit" 100 pounds when she was pregnant with our first. She hit 100 pounds the day before Rebecca was born!

My oldest daughter is 5'1", weighs 100 pounds, my middle daughter is 5'2" tall and, after 3 children, weighs about 110 pounds. My youngest daughter is 5'3" tall and just hit 130 pounds. But, she is pregnant with her 1st! Normally she comes in at about 110 pounds.

My youngest's husband is 6'5" tall! Even when my daughter wears "heels", he towers over her.

Yes, all four of these "short" women "rule the roost"!

Glen, K9STH

3. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k5cey @ April 20 2004,22:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N0PU @ April 20 2004,16:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[ for you young guys, cars in those days had manual chokes, the automatic choke hadn't been invented or at least not installed in cars yet].. He asked her why she had the choke pulled out, and she looked at him quizzically and asked him what he was talking about... He reached into the car and took her purse off the choke rod and adjusted the choke and the little car purred like a kitten once again... She didn't know what it was but it sure was handy to hang her purse on...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In those days, when I pulled into a drive in (remember a 5 cent Coke, 25 cent hamburgers, and car hops on roller skates?), I would pull the choke out to make the engine idle rough so everyone thought I had a hot cam.
    After a couple of minutes the exhaust fumes became overwhelming and I would shut her down.
    Kinda futile really, because everyone knew who had the hot cars and who didn't.
    We're talking a 1950 model flat head Ford V8 here.
    John[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    My 1950 Ford flathead V8 and three speed with manual overdrive WAS a hot car! And it was well known to the Denver PD, as it had the loudest Fenton Glasspaks in the city. Disengage the overdrive, wind 'er up in first gear, then back off and the windows on the office buildings rattled. I did that once coming up behind a Denver PD car, and both officers turned and looked out the rear window at me. But loud mufflers were not illegal back then, and I had done nothing wrong. I sure got their attention, though!

I did the choke trick, too! Probably a lot of us did. But for those in the know, I had a way of gripping the column shift very close to the column, and slipping the clutch as I shifted very fast, at slow speeds. Made it sound like a &quot;slush stick&quot; and everyone knew 50 Fords didn't have autos. So it just HAD to be something other than a stock Ford to have an automatic transmission! I got the idea from a fellow down the street with a stock looking, and beautiful, 1949 Ford coupe, with an Olds power plant and Hydromatic tranny. Sounded good, but not as loud as mine. I just learned to make mine sound like a Hydromatic, too. I doubt I fooled anyone.

Did the usual teenage drag racing, outside the city, and my '50 was indeed a fast car, for its times (1957)

Denver PD had a LOT of unmarked cars, of many makes and models. I was nearly suckered into a downtown drag race with a red and white 55 Mercury, extra chrome, lowered in the rear and, yep - loud mufflers. Just as the light changed, the two officers put on their hats, and I spotted the radio antenna. I eased out and they did too, grinning. No race tonight, boys. My favorite Denver PD car was a 51 Chevy coupe, straight pipe, grass green. We all knew the PD cars had five digit license plates that began with either 86 or 87. And with front and rear tags a cop car was easy enough to spot.

Then they went to boring Chevys and Fords, all the same, no whitewalls, etc. What a waste!

And today I drive an old pickup truck, at or under the speed limit.

Ed

4. KC2KQH

KC2KQH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to clear up a few things. Yes I am still here. No I did NOT try to test anything with the power cord in the wall.
    Ryan

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Several years ago the Dallas Police Department decided to replace a number of their &quot;unmarked&quot; cars. These had &quot;normal&quot; automobile radio antennas, chrome trim, etc. &quot;Perfect&quot; for undercover and other unmarked operations.

Unfortunately, every car came with tires that were marked &quot;Police Special&quot; in large raised white letters! Someone had forgotten to remove that item from the order!

The department had to replace all 5 tires (including the spare) with &quot;normal&quot; tires. Not only added some to the cost, but required a considerably amount of time to get all the tires changed!

Also, one of the smaller towns here in Collin County got a &quot;Plodge&quot; as its brand new patrol car. One side and the rear said &quot;Dodge&quot; and the other side and the front said &quot;Plymouth&quot;! As my employees were installing the radios and emergency lights in the vehicle I noticed that one side said Dodge and the other said Plymouth. Then I walked around and saw the differences between the front and rear!

I informed both the police chief and the city manager. However, it was way too late to even think about returning the car. It had already been painted with the city information and the radio and emergency light installation was started. Thus, for about 4 years, the City of Frisco, Texas, operated a &quot;Plodge&quot;!

Glen, K9STH

6. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

KC2KQH,
    RYAN,TNX for checking in and letting everyone know you are OK. I would remind you of the offer made by Harry,NØPU earlier in this thread,the information is free for the taking,and the investment of your time will turn out to be the best investment you will ever make in your Amateur career.
    Good luck on your studies,BEST DX es 73,    ORV

7. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

NØPU,
    Yes HARRY, I know where you are coming from,there is a certain pleasant satisfaction to be able to create with &quot;Hands On &quot;. It gives the individual a definite value to their being, to be able to face and solve the little trifles that Murphy so delicately places in your path.Thats where knowledge ,skill and experience all take a front row seat,often problems are solved with out giving them a second thought with the aid of a few experiences under your belt.
    Different strokes for different folks, but for my money the atmosphere in a good R&amp;D Lab is the best of all worlds in working conditions. A knowledgable crew of Technicians and Engineers working in unision, the possibilities of creation are limitless. When President JFK announced the US was going to the moon he put into motion just that atmosphere in NASA,and a Technically oriented person could never find a better place to be.I only hope the new people go to the trouble of looking beyond inside the box, and prepare themselves to meet the challenges head on .

8. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, Hello Ryan::

I never thought you did. (check anything with the power on) I just said that I wouldn't so they will start in on me, and get them off of you so you wouldn't get chewed to death...

Anyway,,did you find what made the fuse blow?

9. K6PME

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K6UEY @ April 22 2004,19:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">KC2KQH,
    RYAN,TNX for checking in and letting everyone know you are OK. I would remind you of the offer made by Harry,NØPU earlier in this thread,the information is free for the taking,and the investment of your time will turn out to be the best investment you will ever make in your Amateur career.
    Good luck on your studies,BEST DX es 73,    ORV[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'll second that. I havn't really spent much time in the electronics part of it yet but the mathmatics section has been quite helpful.

10. K6PME

[​IMG]0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K9STH @ April 22 2004,09[​IMG]0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, all four of these &quot;short&quot; women &quot;rule the roost&quot;!

Glen, K9STH[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yup! It looks like mine will too..... All 5' and 95 lbs of her.....:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.