Maybe, "Get on as soon as possible" isn't the best advice?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KE0EYJ, Sep 5, 2018.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still having a hard time figuring out the pattern for when someone sends their CQ and or callsign. Maybe it's different in Asia?

I'm getting "CQ CQ CQ JA1XXX" but then it's followed by a bunch of numbers and letters or jibberish that's not spaced in any semblance of a way that I can understand it, until I hear K at the end. But then they send more jibberish before starting their callsign again. Then some kind of prosign. t's totally throwing me off, because they are in no way keeping it simple, when all I want is their callsign 3x slowly followed by K.

Best guess is it's some kind of map locator.

Am I missing something, here?

I had one guy on who may have been a YB, but the QSB was so bad, I couldn't get the call and had to quit. Felt bad about that, because he was at my speed. I am really struggling to even get a callsign out of these contacts (and I'm really not).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I looked up "Japanese hams and morse" and got this -

http://www.zl2al.com/3488/wabun-the-japanese-morse-code/

I have never heard this OTA , but it is a possible explanation. If the jibberish is marked by DO and SN, then it is what is termed "QOD6". It isn't International Morse between those markers, it is a dit/dah representation of the Japanese language.

3. KE0EYJ

Not sure what's going on.

I will say that i'm about to start this all over again at 15/12 on LCWO, because at 20/6, it doesn't translate near to anything people use in the real world. The thing that is killing me is the spacing on fast qso's. It's a blur when people send 20/20. Then, when I slow to work someone around 10/10 to 15/15, they are impossible for me to understand, because I have not learned the letters that slowly.

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Had that vy same experience when starting out. At the slower speeds the characters made no sense. I outgrew that and so will ye...
    Glad to have you aboard OM. VY 73

Learn Morse
    Do CW

KE0EYJ likes this.
  5. KE0EYJ

How did you outgrow it?

Listening to slow copy?

6. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know the question wasn't addressed to me, but I think I know the answer. Sorry in advance if this doesn't help.

At slow Farnsworth timing, such as 20/8, you have lots of time to recognize the pattern you just heard. The theory is that you will hear a sound pattern, and not individual sounds, if the pattern is fast enough. But this doesn't always work.

I believe you shouldn't have trouble with 10/10, if you had learned the pattern of each character. The trouble is, with the shortened inter-character spacing, you don't have time to "look up" the pattern in the table you've constructed in your head. You should know di-dah-di-dit is L without having to think about the pattern.

I had to slowly work from 15/8 back up to 15/15 for every character I added. Sure, I knew the patterns of the letters already covered, but the new one would throw me unless I had additional time. After a few hours, which might not have been one session, I could handle it at 15/15. Time for another character.

Everybody is different. This is the only way I could break that cursed lookup table, which most of us seem to want to construct.

(This is not intended as a lecture. I feel barely qualified to try to help ..)

KE0EYJ likes this.
  7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

BINGO :D

KE0EYJ likes this.
  8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some Morse Code signals make absolutely NO sense in English. There are quite a few countries & more than one language that has "extra" Morse characters. ;) Some countries (China) use only 4 digit group numbers !

It was amazing/exciting to be a military Morse Intercept Operator in the 50's, 60's, & 70's for a 17 or 18 year old ham !!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code_for_non-Latin_alphabets

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    KE0EYJ likes this.
  9. KE0EYJ

It seems like 3 out of 4 Japanese ops have a callsign / SOMETHING, and it's annoying. And it's not something simple like /1 or /P.

The one guy who had a normal callsign, I had a brief QSO with. Really confusing for the new guy who isn't Japanese.

10. KC1BMD

KC1BMD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of your posts talk about difficulty learning CW and also focus on QSO's with Japan. I would focus on practicing with hams in the states where you can more easily recognize things and when you feel comfortable with that, then try some DX. Certainly you should first learn all the letters, numbers, basic punctuation (comma, period, question mark and maybe slash) plus the common pro-signs and Q-codes. You don't have to send and receive fast to start having QSO's (5-7wpm is good enough I think). As others have stated, everyone struggles in the beginning. Heck, I'm struggling now but I love the challenge and it really exercises the old noggin :). As far as method (Farnsworth, Koch, etc) just use whatever works for you. I practice at actual speed (character and spacing) and gradually work to increase it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018