ad: w5yi

Maybe dumb question: Travelling transmit?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KJ7ZOK, Nov 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KJ7ZOK

KJ7ZOK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry if this is a newbie question. Wandering around the bands (HF), I often see someone transmitting while they're changing frequencies. I'll be listening to a frequency, and on the waterfall you can see someone transmitting as they fly through the band, generally not stopping, and as they pass through the frequency where I'm tuned, it seems like it's just a carrier. I've sometimes seen them weave and go backwards for a bit, doesn't seem like something natural or repetitive. Is this someone trying to tune their auto tuner? A lid? Something else?

No doubt this has been discussed before, but I couldn't figure out terms to search for it. Thanks.

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Rude behavior, to be sure, I've heard it happen many times. Not sure exactly what they're doing but I wonder if they're checking their antenna resonance across the entire band. Like they start at the bottom of the band watching their VSWR meter as they tune up to the top of the band, or something.

K0UO and PU2OZT like this.
  3. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a dumb doubt at all, and never apologize, ever.
    Indeed, keying while you change your transmitting frequency is a lid behaviour, at least.
    If it hurted you while staring at your scope, imagine hearing such garbage.
    Perfect example of misusing a knob, may they stick to a keypad entry frequency for one solar cycle, to get a clue.
    And aso...
    [​IMG]

Oliver

WD4ELG and K0UO like this.
  4. SP4IT

SP4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

K4PDM, WS9K, PU2OZT and 3 others like this.
  5. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you might be seeing people tuning up their antenna tuners or amplifiers in some cases.

6. KJ7ZOK

7. KJ7ZOK

Interesting: was listening to the Battleship Iowa transmission today on 20m at 14.7815 (outside the ham band), and one of these travelling transmitters flew by. I would think most hams tuning an autotuner would be paying attention to the band edge, but who knows.

8. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of them are ionosondes, which is probably what you heard. I've heard them ever since I ever started listening to HF back in 1990. Just a quick upward whistle and it's gone. Or, if you're listening to two different frequencies not too far apart, you hear it in the lower frequency and then a few seconds later in the higher one.

But I think what the OP was referring to is different, I've seen it on the ham bands while watching the SDR. Someone tunes from the lower end of the band up to the higher end, and then stops. That's not an ionosonde, that's a ham tuning across the entire band while transmitting. You can often tell too, because the signal from the ham tuning across often takes steps, like every 100 Hz. The ionosondes are a steady signal from low to high.